View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Safe To Drive.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
How much.....? Well I can follow myself out of the driveway at times! The puddle under the car is about a foot across.
Well, let's explore this from this perspective. If you have a tire on you vehicle with a leak, you can choose to keep airing it up however as it quickly deflates it does damage to the inside cords from the extra heat generated as the low pressure compromises the tire casing ...and this oversight ultimately ruins the tire. The same applies with your engine. Presently the bearing clearance is excessive which is allowing the oil to escape. That clearance is also allowing the crankshaft (-and potentially one or more connecting rods) to hammer. The more clearance you have, the harder the hammering blows will be. the harder the hammer blows, the more clearance it will make. At some point, the hammering forces will fracture the cast bearing where it will disintegrate. At this point, your engine rebuilder gets a portion of your wallet. So as the old Fram oil filter commercial said, 'You can pay me now, -or you can pay me later!'. I think what most are saying is it would be prudent to make the repair without creating undue stress by continuing to operate the engine.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote