Thread: Zenith rebuilds
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #16
Penthode

Default Re: Zenith rebuilds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
It the flow passages are clear, the jets cleaned and flow tested and the throttle shaft is not too worn, you are going to have a good running car. Don't forget the exhaust manifold gaskets that may be leaking exhaust gases leaking into the carb inlet. Ed
Ed, I rebuilt my carburetor and made your aforementioned checks including the throttle shafts and manifold gaskets. The car ran well but I could not get the idle to work.
Made sure the well was clean and the idle jet was not clogged. But I failed to clean the upper passage between the idle screw to the small opening above the throttle flap.

After the carburetor fluid soaking and and later an air test, and the secret passages appearing clear, I couldn't get the proper idle.

It wasn't until I poked a paperclip wire diagonally through the hole and thoroughly cleared this passageway of rust and other garbage did the idle finally work. I no longer have to touch the throttle lever pulling up to a stop and the rough idle when warm has gone away!

I see a lot of similar complaints in this forum about the stall when stopping and suggest this should be one of the first checks.

Last edited by Penthode; 06-05-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote