Thread: Zenith rebuilds
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #15
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Zenith rebuilds

There is some excellent literature written on rebuilding the Zenith carb. Steve Parageter's manual comes to mind. The theory of operation is easy to understand if you study Steve's manual. Rebuilding the carb is fun and it is one of the improvements that you can make that is directly related to getting a good running car. I don't understand why it has to cost so much to rebuild a Zenith. I belong to a Model A Club Florida and as a part of the hobby I rebuild members carbs for free. The club owns a gallon of carb cleaner and we disassemble the carb and let it soak for a couple of hours. With a stiff wire we rod out the passages and then flush out the carb. To speed up the re-assembly process, I have sets of cleaned, flow tested jets in inventory. The dirty jets from the member's carb are cleaned and flow tested at a later time and then I re-cycle them into another carb. Club members usually bring a gasket set with the carb to be rebuilt. I usually leave the cosmetic work to the owner.

It the flow passages are clear, the jets cleaned and flow tested and the throttle shaft is not too worn, you are going to have a good running car. Don't forget the exhaust manifold gaskets that may be leaking exhaust gases leaking into the carb inlet. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote