View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #217
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Rebuilt Flathead Problems.

Schneider makes a good cam, this one is similar to the Isky Max #1. If you've read JWL's book you'll see that will reduce the torque output if the engine at low RPM's. Increasing the displacement and compression will increase torque through the RPM range.I don't think #60 of valve spring is necessary, but it probably won't do any harm. A street engine spends 90% of it's life under 3000 rpm. I used #50/55 lbs on the seat and used the second grove in the Chevy valve many times with no problem. Most of the time a stock spring wit a .060' shim is all that's needed. Now with all this said, you can spend more money on improving this, but I don't think it's necessary. What hasn't been addressed is the guides? Have they been knurlled? the reason for this is the fact that a loos valve stem to guid clearance is where oil is sucked into the cylinder under hi Vacuum. Knurling prevents this, It also lubricates the valve stem. This is a better place to spend you money. Also piston to cylinder head clearance. Mill head for .045/.050" clearance. This improves throttle response and economy. probably the best bang for the buck. I don't like to spend allot of money on these engines unless it's necessary and most (not all) of my engines are still running. I was just informed that Dons Engine has passed the 40 K mark and Ron Horrell's 296 50K Just lov these flat motors.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote