View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Wheel balancing and weights

I must be lucky! I've never had a problem with the method! Just get the weight and split it, half on the inside and half on the outside. With the narrow Mod A rims, the weight need not be split. With modern tires, I find very little weight is needed to correct the imbalance. As opposed to the older tires. I once had a snow tire that required 6 oz to run correctly. I haven't seen anything like that in years. One problem I accidentally discovered was with my neighbors car. The tire could not be balanced! Whenever you thought you had the light side of the wheel, it moved. I finally realized what was going on, the tire was full of water. The previous owner never thought to drain his compressor and the tank was full of condensate, so much so that it was going out the air hose with the air and filling the tire with as much water as air. We drained and dried everything and it was fine.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I've seen plenty of bubble balancing that was not good at any speed and if it does work it's pure luck, that's like doing an alignment with a stick
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote