Thread: TCP paints
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #40
Terry, NJ

Default Re: TCP paints

I assume, rightly or wrongly, that paint uses finely ground metallic substances for pigments. Unrefined metallic oxides etc frequently are colored in ways and hues that don't reflect their coloration in the metallic state. For example, Turquoise, Malachite, Chrysacolla are green. Azurite is blue. None of which gives any hint of the color of the metal, copper. Iron can be either red or black. Wulfenite is a red tungsten ore, Vanadinite is also red. Some zinc ores (Zincite) and red, Ruby silver is of course ruby red. Other materials for pigments I can only guess at. The question is, will the materials (Plus mass produced solvents and other chemistry) drive the cost of a gallon of paint to the heights that we see today? The first car I ever painted was a 59 TR3 in 64,65. We used Centari that cost $15 a quart. The second was a 65 Ford P.U. in 74 Again, Centari at what ever it cost in those days. But no where near $100 + a gallon. Just as an aside, I was talking to a paint supplier once and he told me the most expensive paint was a paint that had crushed shells to give it an irridicense and sheen. $1200 a gallon.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
To start with, the quality of the pigments, the quality of the ingredients, the EPA fees, and (the biggie) the R&D is what drives the costs up so much. Another thing that drives up the price in Concept is some of them actually have heavy metals in them.

Alos, anyone can steal technology, -or just use outdated technology, but someone must lead the way and that costs money. Kinda like saying it is foolish for anyone to buy a new car. The only issue with that mindset is someone needs to buy the new so the used will become available.

Terry, you'd better check your history again! Henry did not buy his Model-A paint from Ditzler.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote