Thread: Head questions
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 01:42 AM   #17
Henry's Lady's Man

Default Re: Head questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
If that was my head and I was going to use it, then I'd tap the hole with fine threads and screw a fine thread bolt into the hole with locktite on it. Let it set up for a day, then cut the bolt and file it down flat with the head, and drill a new hole about 1/8" closer to the front of the head. Actually this should have been done before leveling the head, but still can be done as I described.

How does the head gasket line up with that small hole? I'm wondering why it's so close to the edge?
Tom, Here is a closeup of that hole. I will get my head back by Thurs or Fri. Then I will examine if the head gasket lines up with it. It is a bit close. Thanks for pointing that out. I could still opt for purchasing a 5.5 head.

I just pulled my oil pan for the first time since I owned it (I've only put 700 miles on her).
The engine is still in the car and I wasn't planning on rebuilding the whole shebang yet. I will start another post regarding doing the rings while I'm at it. I'm afraid to look at the babbit. It may fall to pieces. Then I AM stuck with a full rebuild, and I'll miss this wedding for a friend. Oh well. It is what it is! Can I rebuild it in IN THE CAR?