View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #17
Bruce_MO

Default Re: Interesting comment on Facebook about Model-A Brakes

Wouldn't a more "real world" test be to assess road performance... stopping distance, control/stability, pedal pressure rquired for lock-up... between stock and floaters on the same car? Long before anti-lock brakes, Motor Trend and guys like Tom McCahill were comparing stopping distances and "performance" of the brake systems with some sort of standard approach. It would be neat if someone took a well-restored car and did 5-10 runs, and then installed floaters and repeated the process. With a comprehensive head-to-head comparison, and some "data" (three decimal places not necessary!), it would pretty neat. I've seen old McCahill articles that show car A stopping straight and car B fishtailing into cones, etc. I just think it would be neat to come up with a less subjective approach. Like a few of the folks on this thread, I think the stock system is sound and too many floaters are band-aids on crappy systems, but the theory of floaters should give them the advantage. If I was 70 years old (getting there) and I wanted excellent braking at less pedal pressure, I'd like to know if it's feasible. People are investing in easier steering... same kind of idea in my head.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote