The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Manifold heater time - what kind do you have? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180779)

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 10-20-2015 11:59 PM

Manifold heater time - what kind do you have?

2 Attachment(s)
I have a Red Head heater, but am missing an original door.

Here is a picture of the heater and the door.

What other brands of original accessory heaters do you have?
Can you post any pictures of your heater and it's door?

(If anyone has a red head door for sale, please let me know.)

Hoogah 10-21-2015 12:36 AM

Re: Manifold heater time - what kind do you have?

3 Attachment(s)
I have an Auto Lite. The pictures show it with a solid extension tube that someone pressed into the back to connect to the door. I've removed the solid tube and will replace it with something flexible when I fit it to the car.

Interested in the Red Head door, Neil. Does it actually have two flaps, with one allowing for directional air flow, or am I looking at your picture wrong?

As my car is RHD, I've got to rig up an elbow inside the cab to redirect the hot air in the direction of the passenger seat where it's needed most (for my wife!!). There's a "hot air/wife" gag in there somewhere, but I'll leave that to someone else! :rolleyes:

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 10-21-2015 01:44 AM

Yes it does have a second flap that will direct the heat.
I've seen that type for sale on ebay before. I have a plain door that I was going to try to put the face on. I can look to see if I have a second directional door, if you are interested?
For some reason, I did not realize that you had cold weather in Australia.
Neil

pooch 10-21-2015 02:25 AM

We do have snow here in OZ, it is not all outback and kangaroos bounding down George street.

Around zero C or 32 F is where we draw the line to put the roof up on the roadster.

I have driven over the Blue Mountains on the way to the Bathurst 1000 in a mustang convertible with top down when it was snowing.

Mate in passenger seat was ducked down behind dash, I said , 'what a wuss ya are ' .....

Hoogah 10-21-2015 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=Neil Mylar LakewoodCA;1175906]I can look to see if I have a second directional door, if you are interested?[QUOTE]

Thanks for the thought. It looks like the directional door will only direct the air downwards, not sideways to the opposite side of the cab?

Quote:

For some reason, I did not realize that you had cold weather in Australia.
Yeah, it's not all searing heat here! Australia's land mass is only 20% smaller than the US and has a large range of climates, but it doesn't have cold anywhere as extreme as in the US. USA's northern tip sits at about 50 degrees north, but Oz doesn't go much further south than 40 degrees. We generally only get snow at altitude.

John Stone 10-21-2015 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA (Post 1175896)
I have a Red Head heater, but am missing an original door.

Here is a picture of the heater and the door.

What other brands of original accessory heaters do you have?
Can you post any pictures of your heater and it's door?

(If anyone has a red head door for sale, please let me know.)

Interesting picture of the door. Looks exactly like the one on my pickup.:D
I have a Red Head, Director (looks just like the Redhead), an Auto-lite that bolts on the waffle manifold and an Auto-lite that clamps on a smooth manifold. On the shelf I have an unknown brand of heater/manifold that has a removable cast iron cover and the outlet uses a flex tube and exits thru the floorboard. Been thinking I may put it on the 400A. Just don't want to cut the expensive carpet but better than the firewall.:rolleyes:

Hoogah 10-21-2015 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stone (Post 1175954)
. . .I have an unknown brand of heater/manifold that has a removable cast iron cover and the outlet uses a flex tube and exits thru the floorboard. Been thinking I may put it on the 400A. Just don't want to cut the expensive carpet but better than the firewall.:rolleyes:

Any chance of a photo of the flex tube, in particular how it mates to the back of the heater and the elbow bend you must need to route it through the floor? :)
Doing this it that way is more complex with a RHD car. It's a bit crowded on the RHS of the engine bay!

Rowdy 10-21-2015 08:28 AM

No heater yet. Likely will use a hot water type heater as all of my waffle heaters have cracks and are just wall hangers. Have several firewall heater doors that may end up as wall hangers also. Rod

Bruce 10-21-2015 08:56 AM

Manifold heaters "trumpet" every engine noise into the passenger compartment. Hang one on your exhaust and the clatter will make you think the whole shebang is coming apart. On the good side, when you get used to the mechanical symphony it will be spring and time to take it off. Then the engine will be soooo quiet you will forget that it is running.
Avoid this dissonance. Invite a pretty copilot to ride along. Mine keeps me from getting lost AND, a couple "slide over baby" right turns snuggles her close. MMMmmmm, warm.

2manycars 10-21-2015 09:24 AM

I have a manifold heater that was made for the stock manifold, as it has baffles inside to slow the air so it heats better. At least in theory. I find that manifold heaters work great when it is cool, and one hardly needs it, and not so much when it is cold and one really needs one. My father told of driving before WW2 with a manifold heater, and when he worked the engine hard while climbing a hill, sparks came through and damaged the silk stockings my mother was wearing.

John Stone 10-21-2015 09:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoogah (Post 1175955)
Any chance of a photo of the flex tube, in particular how it mates to the back of the heater and the elbow bend you must need to route it through the floor? :)
Doing this it that way is more complex with a RHD car. It's a bit crowded on the RHS of the engine bay!

The flex tube is what I don't have. Will require some engineering to fit it all. Tube is 2" OD. Here are some pictures of what I have. Maybe someone can identify the brand.

CarlG 10-21-2015 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stone (Post 1176001)
The flex tube is what I don't have...

Go to your local aircraft supply house and ask for a short piece of SCAT ducting. It comes in all different sizes, is flexible, and is made for high temperatures.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/scat.php

rogerkb1936 10-21-2015 10:45 AM

i have the same heater on my 31 PU. i had to make the cover, but did a good job. the register was not the correct one but works great. i cut opening in floorboard and use a solid pipe to carry heat. again, works great. can't remember how i fit it, just went slow and it fits fine. tom w is right, noises come out of the opening that i never heard before.

Nathan_1929 10-21-2015 11:20 AM

I have the top part of an Autolite and part an exhaust manifold for a heater, but I don't think the two go together. Hmm. Need to sort that out.

I do have the Red Head door.

TinCup 10-21-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stone (Post 1176001)
The flex tube is what I don't have. Will require some engineering to fit it all. Tube is 2" OD. Here are some pictures of what I have. Maybe someone can identify the brand.

John we sure enjoyed visiting you and Mr. Francis the other day. Mr. Adams is very excited about getting his motor back. If this heater is too much trouble for you, you can send it back with John and I will put it in my coupe:)

31 Model A 10-21-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1176016)
Go to your local aircraft supply house and ask for a short piece of SCAT ducting. It comes in all different sizes, is flexible, and is made for high temperatures.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/scat.php

What size do you recommend? The firewall duct is 2 in and the end of Autolite is 2 3/4.

burner31 10-21-2015 11:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Can't tell from the photos, but I'm sure one of them is a "Redheaded heater"

CarlG 10-21-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Model A (Post 1176059)
What size do you recommend? The firewall duct is 2 in and the end of Autolite is 2 3/4.

You would need to get the larger size and bush the smaller size up to fit. Maybe a short piece of 2" radiator hose?

Brianfrench65 10-21-2015 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Autolite wit the firewall door and directional louver. If pointed up, it helps with windshield fogging.

Brianfrench65 10-21-2015 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture of door