The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A pickup with a twist (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163004)

31Abone 03-05-2015 12:54 PM

Model A pickup with a twist

1 Attachment(s)
was it a coupe to start with ? wheel type ?

CarlG 03-05-2015 01:20 PM

Re: Model A pickup with a twist

Saw that one on eBay this morning:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171705435796...:SS:SS:US:1120

Looks like it started life as a coupe, would actually look better if the extended wooden box were eliminated and a regular tailgate put in. Have no idea what the wheels are.

Weird. :confused:

Juggler 03-05-2015 01:26 PM

18" Divco milk truck wheels?

w.michael 03-05-2015 11:44 PM

Oh, the poor thing !

W. Michael

C26Pinelake 03-06-2015 12:52 AM

the more you look the uglier it gets ! Wayne

Mike V. Florida 03-06-2015 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C26Pinelake (Post 1045559)
the more you look the uglier it gets ! Wayne

Those bumper extensions are a thing to behold.

Sixseven 03-06-2015 05:55 AM

Not in the least bit appealing.

JohnLaVoy 03-06-2015 09:06 AM

There were a lot of coupes made into pickups. When gas rationing was going on during WWII if you had a "service" vehicle like a pickup you got a larger gas ration so this was a popular conversion during the war.

Patrick L. 03-06-2015 09:14 AM

Heck I like it, its more useful like that. But, I'd do as Carl and make up or get a normal tailgate and drive the heck out of it. I'd have to change the color I think.

eagle 03-06-2015 09:17 AM

Very, very rare! Only one built. A flash mob lynched the designer after seeing the first model come off the production line.
Actually some of the pickup conversions are really neat, this one though really does somehow fit the ugly bill.

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-06-2015 09:37 AM

In Oklahoma, cars were converted to "FARM TRUCKS" & got more gas stamps & a special "FARM TRUCK" license plate, which was cheeper, also! Sedans were cut off & many of the cabs finished off with wood. Talk about WOODIES! Some back windows were cut off to the LEFT, so the driver could see better! Much of the wood was ROUGH SAWN, by Neece Bastible's (Chief's lifelong friend) homemade sawmill! TALK ABOUT RUSTIC PATINA!!!!!
Bark covered "slabs" that DIDN'T quite make it for a board, were put in a "free" pile, & used by folks for "siding" for out-buildings & smoke houses, etc. We were "re-cyclers", as the bark gradually fell off the siding, it was saved for kindling, to fire up the cook stove & the big cast iron heater! Their popularity waned, when someone began selling the tar paper type "BRICK" siding. The siding was a GODSEND, in keeping crappy old houses free of the CHILLING NORTH WIND, sent from an ARCTIC EXPRESS, down from the Midwest!! I tole you that we were POOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!
Bill W.

james hitchcock 03-06-2015 10:24 AM

I love all versions of the A. I've seen many homemade pick ups. I'd leave as is and enjoy.

C26Pinelake 03-06-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1045629)
In Oklahoma, cars were converted to "FARM TRUCKS" & got more gas stamps & a special "FARM TRUCK" license plate, which was cheeper, also! Sedans were cut off & many of the cabs finished off with wood. Talk about WOODIES! Some back windows were cut off to the LEFT, so the driver could see better! Much of the wood was ROUGH SAWN, by Neece Bastible's (Chief's lifelong friend) homemade sawmill! TALK ABOUT RUSTIC PATINA!!!!!
Bark covered "slabs" that DIDN'T quite make it for a board, were put in a "free" pile, & used by folks for "siding" for out-buildings & smoke houses, etc. We were "re-cyclers", as the bark gradually fell off the siding, it was saved for kindling, to fire up the cook stove & the big cast iron heater! Their popularity waned, when someone began selling the tar paper type "BRICK" siding. The siding was a GODSEND, in keeping crappy old houses free of the CHILLING NORTH WIND, sent from an ARCTIC EXPRESS, down from the Midwest!! I tole you that we were POOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!
Bill W.

Poor in the pocket but rich in spirit !
Wayne

ModelAMike1930 03-06-2015 01:14 PM

Don't like the color or the wooden bed extension.

CarlG 03-06-2015 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy (Post 1045620)
There were a lot of coupes made into pickups. When gas rationing was going on during WWII if you had a "service" vehicle like a pickup you got a larger gas ration so this was a popular conversion during the war.

Here's a couple more:

mshmodela 03-06-2015 03:22 PM

Well for goodness sakes paint that car another color!

dustyp489 03-09-2015 07:24 PM

Did Sear's sell a kit to do This? I remember a few when I was short in the tooth

poweredbylincoln 03-10-2015 07:29 AM

Divco rims?!?