The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130948)

Tom Wesenberg 02-08-2014 11:01 AM

Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Mark for this handy tip on rust removal. Mark bought a cheap crockpot at a garage sale, then used pure white vinegar at 170* for 3 hours to remove the rust from these parts.

"Here is about three hours of de rusting at 170 degrees. You need to rinse with dawn dish soap under hot water and using a parts cleaner brush and a small wire bush to clean the corners (really no effort) flash rust will develop almost before your eyes. Here are the parts sprayed with WD 40 to prevent the flash rust."

Jim Mason 02-08-2014 11:10 AM

Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Will the iron acetate be stable or will it convert to iron oxide under the wd40? I?s iron phosphate (phosphoric acid v acetic acid) more stable in an oxygen environment

Steve Plucker 02-08-2014 11:50 AM

How about after rinsing, just put in a bucket of deisel oil till needed later?

Pluck

TinCup 02-08-2014 11:59 AM

I like it. Now I wonder which crockpot my wife won't miss.

Kurt in NJ 02-08-2014 12:15 PM

The secret ingrediant for next years Hershey chili ---model A iron

Have the brake shafts been taken apart, what happens inside, does it remove the grease?

28ACoupe 02-08-2014 02:34 PM

If you live in an area which salts the roads or near the ocean, do not use WD-40 for anything. WD-40 and salt air are the best rust making combination ever. I won't allow it in my shop at all anymore.

That having been said, good idea on the rest. :)

wrndln 02-08-2014 04:12 PM

I just did almost the same thing that Tom did a few days ago, only I used Evaporust instead of vinegar. I am wondering if vinegar would work about the same and much cheaper. However, I was afraid something like an acid, even a mild one like vinegar, would cause problems with the brass cladding or get trapped under the cladding and cause trouble. I am trying to separate the steel backing from the brass cladding to get it replated - it is really crimped on tight and still haven't figured out how to remove the cladding without damaging it. I needed to derust the center bumper emblem that was pretty rusted. The heated Evaporust worked great, much faster and better than when I used it unheated. I used the low setting on the Crockpot and the Evaporust didn't boil, but was quite hot. I let it cook for a day and the small amount of the Evaporust was looking pretty discolored (would have probably still worked OK), but I dumped it (maybe 2 or 3 oz.) and put some fresh Evaporust in the jar for a second day. Unfortunatley I didn't think to take a picture of the setup in the Crockpot. I put about 3/4" of water in the Crockpot, put about 3/4" of Evaporust in a small glass jar, put the emblem in the jar and set the jar in the Crockpot. I used much less Evaporust ($$) this way. I was concerned about the brass is why I did the "douple cooker" method. Normally that wouldn't be necessary. I am posting pictures of before and after the derusting operation. I got a little flash rusting (top part) as I didn't dry the steel immediately after removing it from the Evaporust. Next time I will.
Rusty Nelson

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps80bab2a4.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf36f3c45.jpg

FL&WVMIKE 02-08-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrndln (Post 819807)
I just did almost the same thing that Tom did a few days ago, only I used Evaporust instead of vinegar. I am wondering if vinegar would work about the same and much cheaper. However, I was afraid something like an acid, even a mild one like vinegar, would cause problems with the brass cladding or get trapped under the cladding and cause trouble. I am trying to separate the steel backing from the brass cladding to get it replated - it is really crimped on tight and still haven't figured out how to remove the cladding without damaging it. I needed to derust the center bumper emblem that was pretty rusted. The heated Evaporust worked great, much faster and better than when I used it unheated. I used the low setting on the Crockpot and the Evaporust didn't boil, but was quite hot. I let it cook for a day and the small amount of the Evaporust was looking pretty discolored (would have probably still worked OK), but I dumped it (maybe 2 or 3 oz.) and put some fresh Evaporust in the jar for a second day. Unfortunatley I didn't think to take a picture of the setup in the Crockpot. I put about 3/4" of water in the Crockpot, put about 3/4" of Evaporust in a small glass jar, put the emblem in the jar and set the jar in the Crockpot. I used much less Evaporust ($$) this way. I was concerned about the brass is why I did the "douple cooker" method. Normally that wouldn't be necessary. I am posting pictures of before and after the derusting operation. I got a little flash rusting (top part) as I didn't dry the steel immediately after removing it from the Evaporust. Next time I will.
Rusty Nelson

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps80bab2a4.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf36f3c45.jpg

RUSTY .............
A good rinse in baking soda will nuetralize the acid in the vinegar.
MIKE :) (mikeburch)

pooch 02-08-2014 05:26 PM

Any rust removal by a wet method just needs to be blown dry immediately.

Only a very fine or no flash rust will appear.

Of course it will rust if let to dry naturally.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-08-2014 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TinCup (Post 819616)
I like it. Now I wonder which crockpot my wife won't miss.

Tell her the "USE BEFORE" date on the bottom has expired on the ugly one-----or the one that was a gift frum a KRANKY relative:cool:----or maybe there's a RECALL on DANGEROUS ones frum CHINA. If those don't wurk, I'll consult the Dog:cool: fer a "STORY":D
Bill W.

aojo 02-08-2014 07:52 PM

Does anyone else use Gibbs? I have found this product to be excellent in rust prevention. Use on bare metal after bead blasting, sanding, hot tank etc. and no rust appears for months on the bare metal

Tom Wesenberg 02-08-2014 07:59 PM

I use Gibbs as a penetrating oil, but am almost out of it and haven't found it at the usual swap meets I attended this past summer.

Jim Mason 02-08-2014 09:07 PM

the bicarb will neutralize any acid remaining but the iron acetate may not be stable

mleder 02-08-2014 11:43 PM

One more thing about this process that I like is that the spent cleaning vinegar is not dangerous and disposal of doesn't make me feel like I'm endangering anyone.

Chuck Sea/Tac 02-09-2014 02:08 AM

Tom, what is "pure" white vinegar? Just the normal solution you find everywhere?

hardtimes 02-09-2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mleder (Post 820114)
One more thing about this process that I like is that the spent cleaning vinegar is not dangerous and disposal of doesn't make me feel like I'm endangering anyone.

Evaporust can be used over/over again, and can be used to water the tree !

Tom Wesenberg 02-09-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 820155)
Tom, what is "pure" white vinegar? Just the normal solution you find everywhere?

Yes, I buy it in one gallon jugs at Rainbow Foods for about $1.69. The label states it's 5% acidic.

john in illinois 02-09-2014 10:19 AM

Aojo and Tom. The alternative to Gibbs oil is 4 Way Penetrating oil. Brookville Roadster uses this on bare metal. I have had it on bare metal for almost a year. If you get a little rust from sweat or something Scotch Brite and a little
4 way shines it up.

The nice thing about it is it contains no silicone so it is easy to clean for painting.

http://catalog.antiseize.com/viewite...---penetrating

John

whirnot 02-17-2014 10:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
As it turns out I was in the middle of a little rust removal as well.

I had heard that for larger parts you can just put them in a plastic bucket with Vinegar and Salt. One gallon of vinegar to a cup of salt. I have no idea why the salt, but it worked great.. Without heat it does take longer, but after 9 days my old running board luggage rack came out virtually rust free. Even the clamp bolts that would not move were clean. I just brushed them with a hand wire brush and this is the result. They do start to rust even in dry Colorado air in about 10 minutes if you don't put something them. I paid no attention to what kind of vinegar, just grabbed the cheapest.:p