The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Painting Tillotsons (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157179)

Brian T 12-17-2014 04:30 PM

Painting Tillotsons

I know some of you will question why, but I will ask anyway, I would like to paint my Tillotson carbs black, I am thinking I will use Rustoleum appliance paint which I believe is an epoxy type paint?.
As they have a smooth surface I need to key the surface for the paint to adhere, they are to complex of a shape to sand on and I did not what to fine media blast them, is there an acid such as Ospho that would etch them enough for this purpose.
I have read that there is no absolute fuel proof paint, the good model airplane paint that did work is outlawed in Cali and maybe else were, also I understand that curing enamel paint is a must and can take a few weeks (not a problem in this case) --- any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks Brian.

Fullraceflathead 12-17-2014 04:45 PM

Re: Painting Tillotsons

If you want to spend a little more money than painting I'd look into having the Tillotson pieces anodized.
Powder coating is tuff but you would have to have the vendor Not paint any interior surfaces, threaded holes etc.

Gary Gregory 12-17-2014 07:12 PM

Dont waste your money...the paint wont stay if the carb leaks...and all my Tillotons weep a little at the bowl gasket or at the drain plug...the paint will peal there first.

bikejunk 12-17-2014 08:52 PM

most paint their carbs with aero gloss dope u can buy at hobby shop its fuel prof. don't think iv ever seen a tillotson painted .

Joe K 12-17-2014 09:21 PM

Lacquer works well. Keep it thin.

MOre detail on this at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-f...oof-print.html

Joe K

Mitch//pa 12-17-2014 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is what snyders reccomends for carbs

Purdy Swoft 12-17-2014 09:53 PM

I wouldn't paint a pot metal carb. I have painted Zenith carbs with lacquer and had good results.. NAPA use to sell a product named triple etch that will etch alloys, I'm pretty sure that they still do Rustoleum will probably wash right off with alky-rub gas . Why not try the Snyder lacquer paint that Mitch shows. I have purchaced black lacquer in spray cans at Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone and sometimes Walmart . Its your project and your choice .

w.michael 12-17-2014 10:33 PM

I've painted my tillotson many times. Many times. Many times. About once a week for one whole summer. Then I gave up on keeping the thing painted. Every paint I tried wrinkled and peeled off immediately.

W. Michael

Tom Wesenberg 12-17-2014 11:34 PM

About 20 years ago I painted a small engine gas tank and let it set and dry for a year. As soon as the corn crap gas hit it the paint lifted and wrinkled. I never had that problem with good gas from the old days.

BTW, it was on the news tonight that the University of Minnesota research department has finally declared corn crap gas is actually worse than real gas. They said the emissions are the same and when you factor in all the energy wasted to produce, refine, and transport the crap, it much worse than just using good gas.

Naturally the ethanol producers disagreed.

Purdy Swoft 12-17-2014 11:41 PM

Its the alky- rub that causes the problem. Its suppose to help the farmers but it sure doesn't help the old car hobby. anybody that says that it has no effect just doesn't know what they are talking about .

dlshady 12-18-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 999714)
About 20 years ago I painted a small engine gas tank and let it set and dry for a year. As soon as the corn crap gas hit it the paint lifted and wrinkled. I never had that problem with good gas from the old days.

BTW, it was on the news tonight that the University of Minnesota research department has finally declared corn crap gas is actually worse than real gas. They said the emissions are the same and when you factor in all the energy wasted to produce, refine, and transport the crap, it much worse than just using good gas.

Naturally the ethanol producers disagreed.

I wonder how many millions of dollars they spent on that study in order to come to the conclusion that we all reached many years ago... :rolleyes:

jhowes 12-18-2014 11:19 AM

I have been runing two tilly's on a duel intake manifold for some time now that I painted blue with rattle can lacquer l They have held up well and do not leak. So it can be done, and they look good.

Purdy Swoft 12-18-2014 01:45 PM

Real gas isn't that bad about removing acrylic lacquer. Good tillotson carbs don't leak as badly as Zenith carbs unless the bowl is warped . I bet the dual up draft Tillotsons look cool. I'm running dual B carbs on a couple of mine . I painted mine with spray can lacquer and no problems with the paint .

jkeesey 12-18-2014 02:00 PM

I always paint mine with good old gloss black lacquer. I prefer the look of a Tilly painted over the pot metal finish. I usually rub the bodies with scotch brite just to give the paint something better to bite to, then wash them in lacquer thinner and blow dry before painting.