The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   over heating (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137211)

Gerald cook 04-18-2014 10:36 AM

over heating

I have just gotten a 1929 model A and I need some help with with my cooling system. I use the ford barn as my guide in working on my model A thank all of you on the ford barn site for all the help. Now for my question. When doing the cooling system check I run the car for a half hour at a fast idle at full advance. and it gets up to 200+ As I'm not ready for a full on road test (some electrical work left to do ) Is this a indication of a cooling system problem. The cooling system has been flushed and water runs clear. I hope I can get some advice. My next step will be checking water volume of radiator one a half gal. And 4 seconds to dump water out. as per Les Andrews. Jerry

Bruce Adams 04-18-2014 10:43 AM

Re: over heating

I am a big believer in using an infra red temperature gun to detect COOL SPOTS in the radiator when the engine is on to indicate whether the radiator is indeed radiating heat from it, or if the tubes are blocked, thus requiring radiator work or replacement.

700rpm 04-18-2014 11:24 AM

Try running it with spark advance at about 9:00. Bruce's suggestion is excellent also.

stouchton 04-18-2014 11:44 AM

Just to highlight the less obvious:

After chasing coolant, pump and radiator one must also see if the motor is simply producing too much heat.

An engine produces excessive heat when it falls out of its rather inefficient energy sweet spot. Most likely reason is incorrect timing.

The gas will burn releasing its energy, but if burned at the wrong time the energy is not effectively converted to mechanical energy and leaves the engine as heat energy.

When pursuing timing, remember that incorrect mixtures burn at different rates and cause timing variations. Lean mixtures burn too slowly, and rich mixtures burn too rapidly.

Also, advanced and retarded timing both cause excessive heat.

And, when discussing radiators, coolant flow rate and outside air humidity greatly affect the amount of heat a radiator can radiate.

Tom Wesenberg 04-18-2014 12:08 PM

I have found the radiator dump test to be worthless, and even if it passes, that doesn't mean the radiator can transfer heat properly. Think how a thin layer of grease or oil slime can insulate the radiator tubes. Think how a thick layer of paint can insulate the fins.

As mentioned, the heat gun is a nice tool to own, and not too expensive.

goodoldvic 04-18-2014 12:22 PM

You will see posts about overheating and it usually comes down to timing, lean mixture, the radiator, a blown head gasket could also be the culprit. Do it systematically and look at the stuff guys have done to their cars for the problem you wanna fix. There is a lot of info here I don't run a temp gage but 200 sounds high to me. Good luck

Mike V. Florida 04-18-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodoldvic (Post 861323)
You will see posts about overheating and it usually comes down to timing, lean mixture, the radiator, a blown head gasket could also be the culprit. Do it systematically and look at the stuff guys have done to their cars for the problem you wanna fix. There is a lot of info here I don't run a temp gage but 200 sounds high to me. Good luck

Ditto

H. L. Chauvin 04-18-2014 02:18 PM

Hi Gerald,

FWIW:

In my humble opinion, using modern radiator flush kit liquid is as effective as washing your wife's dishes with used motor oil.

If I saw what you described with your Model A, I would try something very simple & very inexpensive first; i.e., I would try draining about 1/2 cup of your radiator coolant &:

1. To prevent too much soap suds, add not more than 1/2 cup of "Joy" liquid & allow your engine to run about 20 minutes "after" engine is at operating temperature.

2. Next, shut off engine, place a clean white sock attached to petcock, & drain coolant.

3. If coolant is dirty, or if debris is captured in sock, wait until engine is cool, add water & repeat steps 1 & 2 until coolant is clear.

You may have years of grease that came through the water pump & lodged in the cooling system -- Joy & warm water will loosen & clean grease just like it cleans margarine off of a plate.

Please let us know what happens.

Hope this helps.

rocket1 04-18-2014 05:14 PM

do you have any white smoke coming out of the tailpipe while the engine is heating up?

ford3 04-18-2014 06:30 PM

200 at a fast idle is really no indicator of how hot the engine is running, you need the car moving down the road with air being forced thru the radiator, and the fan pulling air, sitting still the fan can not pull enough air thru the fins to get an accurate temp reading