The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   more oil pressure (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169506)

old skool 05-24-2015 07:29 PM

more oil pressure

Hello,

Is there any way to modify a model A ford oil pump to get a little more PSI? I have a gauge and I know the oil is pumping, but I would like have a reading so I can prevent future problems. My gauge goes to 15PSI. Any suggestions?

As always, thanks for the help.

Marty

31 Vicky 05-24-2015 08:03 PM

Re: more oil pressure

The stock Model A he's very little restriction in the system. As Marty mentioned you don't want to or need to increase the pressure or lack of. You are probably better off without a gauge on a stock Model A...

How can it be I am just became a regular member but almost 100??

A's Always
Dave

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-24-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Vicky (Post 1091411)
The stock Model A he's very little restriction in the system. As Marty mentioned you don't want to or need to increase the pressure or lack of. You are probably better off without a gauge on a stock Model A...

How can it be I am just became a regular member but almost 100??

A's Always
Dave

SHHHHH! DON'T TELL ANYBUDY!! I won't tell on you!!---You know the OLD saying, "DON'T LOOK A GIFT HORSE IN THE CROTCH"!!!
Bill W.

OH, on oil pressure, it's sorta' like measuring something that AIN'T THERE, like, how TALL wuz thet GHOST, that SKEERED you????

CarlG 05-24-2015 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Vicky (Post 1091411)
...How can it be I am just became a regular member but almost 100??

If I remember:

Number of posts:
Junior = 0-25
Regular = 26-99
Senior = 100 & up

Mike V. Florida 05-24-2015 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old skool (Post 1091380)
Hello,

Is there any way to modify a model A ford oil pump to get a little more PSI? I have a gauge and I know the oil is pumping, but I would like have a reading so I can prevent future problems. My gauge goes to 15PSI. Any suggestions?

As always, thanks for the help.

Marty

You can plumb it for full pressure and then the gauge will mean something. :cool::cool:

Tom Wesenberg 05-24-2015 11:00 PM

You just need a lower pressure gauge, like 5 or 10 at the most. Then you can see the needle move more.

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-24-2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1091497)
You just need a lower pressure gauge, like 5 or 10 at the most. Then you can see the needle move more.

Yo, Tom, Dog:cool: here,
U kuld jist bend the NEEDLE:D
When you kumin' to visit us?:confused:--We even MORE fun, in PERSON:D
Buster T.:cool:

Allanw 05-25-2015 04:59 AM

Just use REALLY thick oil - bad for your engine, but the gauge will work better :D

western77 05-25-2015 05:09 AM

Plug the oil outlet in the valve chamber. Then drill a small hole in the plug. You won't get enough oil to the engine, but you will get some pressure on your gauge! JB

old skool 05-25-2015 11:14 AM

One thing I like about this site is I always get my questions answered and in a nice way. Sometimes I hesitate to post something on the count of looking stupid, but no one has ever made me feel that way. You don't learn unless you ask and read. I am always looking for ways to increase my knowledge so I can pass it on to someone else. Thanks everyone. Keep posting, I am reading every post.

PepeLoco 05-25-2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allanw (Post 1091559)
Just use REALLY thick oil - bad for your engine, but the gauge will work better :D

What is thick oil? 5-20? 30 or 40wt?
Which weight is best?

Jim Brierley 05-26-2015 10:13 AM

You could open the inlet (to the pump) and outlets a little if it would make you feel better? Not needed and probably won't show on the ga. The stock system has worked since 1927.

Terry, NJ 05-26-2015 04:57 PM

Marty,there is a trick I've seen rebuilders do that involves drilling and tapping the center oil gallery and piping in a small copper line . Exactly what's going on there I don't know. Whether the gain is in pressure or volume , I can't say. Precisely how it's done I can't say either! But it has been done with some kind of success.
Terry

Allanw 05-26-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepeLoco (Post 1091795)
What is thick oil? 5-20? 30 or 40wt?
Which weight is best?

Don't really use really thick oil.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=22

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles

Be careful who you listen to about oil - most don't get it. Read up for yoursslf, and pull your own conclusions.

BlakeW 05-29-2015 10:11 PM

Allanw: Thank you for posting those links. It has been very eye-opening and extremely educational.

Thanks!
-Blake

RandyinUtah 05-29-2015 11:36 PM

I had the same problem with my oil gauge reading low. I put in a oil pump rebuild kit from Burt's which had a modified smaller main shaft and my oil pressure reading increased from 1 psi to 4 psi on a warm engine.The guys on the forum are correct you don't need the gauge but now at least I have some reading on the gauge.

Mike V. Florida 05-30-2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allanw (Post 1092518)
Don't really use really thick oil.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=22

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles

Be careful who you listen to about oil - most don't get it. Read up for yoursslf, and pull your own conclusions.

I read the post about thick oil as a joke.

Benson 05-30-2015 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1094466)
I read the post about thick oil as a joke.

I also take the comment about plugging the outlet to increase pressure as a joke!!

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-30-2015 09:59 AM

DON'T WURRY about low pressure, jist remember that the oil is GUSHING through the engine like KRAZY, NOT jist OOOOOOZING!!!
Bill W.

Mark in MT 05-30-2015 12:06 PM

On a Model a engine, the oil pressure gauge reads the resistance of flow between the gauge port and the discharge pipe in the valve chamber. The higher the flow rate (RPM) and the higher the viscosity the higher the gauge will read. The pressure to the bearings will be the same, a gravity pressure of about 6" of head or about .2 psi. 100 psi on the gauge will not give you another ounce of pressure to the bearings, the gauge is just letting you know that the oil pump is still working. The model B is different critter all together.