The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Problem starting car after sitting idle for 2 days (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337157)

FrankWest 03-28-2024 12:54 PM

Problem starting car after sitting idle for 2 days

1933 Model B.
Has anyone had this problem? It is as though all the gas into the fuel line has drained back into the fuel tank. I can start after pouring some gas in the carburetor several times, and pumping the accelerator. Is air leaking into the fuel line?

cas3 03-28-2024 03:06 PM

Re: Problem starting car after sitting idle for 2 days

It shouldn't have to run very long after priming it until it should supply its own gas.
Yes Frank, I would check for cracks or loose fittings. Got a rubber line before the fuel pump on your B motor?

drolston 03-28-2024 04:07 PM

Fuel will evaporate slowly from the float bowl, but it should hold enough to start for longer than two days. Maybe tighten up the assembly and bowl drain screws on the carb. Also on the fuel pump and lines.

richard crow 03-28-2024 04:17 PM

install an elect. fuel pump when the car sits turn the pump on. car starts shut pump off its the new gas that is the problem

kurt v 03-28-2024 04:28 PM

power valve leaking, does your oil have a gas smell to it ?

cas3 03-28-2024 06:01 PM

Its a 4 cylinder

Newc 03-28-2024 08:16 PM

Check the drain plug under the float? There should be check valves in the pump. ? Newc

dean333 03-28-2024 08:58 PM

Electric pumps only mask the problem, in my opinion.

FrankWest 03-29-2024 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas3 (Post 2300896)
It shouldn't have to run very long after priming it until it should supply its own gas.
Yes Frank, I would check for cracks or loose fittings. Got a rubber line before the fuel pump on your B motor?

Yes have a rubber line

Terry,OH 03-29-2024 07:52 AM

It is possible the upper gasket on the fuel pump cover is leaking air. The gasket may be made of cork that drys out and shrinks allowing air to enter the pump. When the engine is started the fuel causes the gasket to swell blocking air. This will cause excessive long start times after a couple of days.
The fuel pump has two valves inside and when the engine stops both should close preventing fuel to flow back to the tank. Any fuel line leaks anywhere, including the flex line into the fuel pump and the carburetor? Any smell of fuel vapor?

JayChicago 03-29-2024 12:48 PM

Agree with others who have said problem is no fuel in the carb float bowl, which should not happen after two days. Picture that scenario and re-read the original post’s symptoms. Not a fuel delivery problem.

Others smarter than me have suggested things to look for at the carburetor.

highbeams 03-30-2024 04:08 AM

wiper vacuum line?

FrankWest 03-30-2024 12:52 PM

WOW, are you psychic. AS I was trying to start the car The windshield wiper began working? Weird.

Kube 03-30-2024 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean333 (Post 2300983)
Electric pumps only mask the problem, in my opinion.

You are correct.

FrankWest 03-31-2024 06:57 AM

After tightening the connections on the fuel pump and carb., not that any were excessively loose. .it seems better. For a 1933 car, I guess I should start the engine every 2 days. The weather has been very cold. Some Global warming Scam.

cas3 03-31-2024 10:34 AM

I've had a fairly new, like 3 years old rubber line to the fuel pump crack. It did not leak fuel as there is no pressure there, but would leak enough air to make it hard to start after sitting for long periods. Same symptoms as the bad gasket at the glass sediment bowl as mentioned above. I like the rubber bowl gaskets if you can find them.

There is a special grease used in the aviation world that will not wash off with gasoline, so its good for the cork gaskets on the glass bowl. Sorry, I do not know the product name, only that its very expensive and my buddy who was an A&P would give me a little dab for my cars.