The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A and T Upholsterers (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337122)

Colonel Biggs 03-27-2024 01:18 PM

Model A and T Upholsterers

I have a friend up in Mass. that does admirable machine work and restorations for Model A's and T's. I have known him for several years and have seen his shop and his work. He recently was asked to refurbish the interior of a T. He ordered the material from Classtique. They sent him incorrect panels for the doors. However, they would not make good on their mistake, and told him that he would have to order new ones, and pay for them. Is this typical of this vendor? He wants to do more interiors, and he has asked me if there are other vendors who are much more reliable.

Any thoughts? Or, is this just a bad one-off situation?

nkaminar 03-27-2024 01:57 PM

Re: Model A and T Upholsterers

There may be more to the story than is on the surface. I am a little suspicious. I would get the Classtique side before making any conclusions.

Mike1291 03-27-2024 02:24 PM

I would be interested, too. I'd like to change the seat springs on my A to new ones and would need the seat fabric changed over. If it turns out to be in his favor let me know who he is and I could give him some work.

JayJay 03-27-2024 06:32 PM

I agree with nkaminar, I think we need to hear both sides of this story. This does not sound like the Classtique that I'm dealing with. Mike goes out of his way to make sure that you know what you are ordering, and he makes to order.

whirnot 03-27-2024 07:26 PM

Classtique has a stellar reputation, and has done excellent work for me.

ModelA29 03-27-2024 10:17 PM

Each is made to order it's not like he goes and pulls one off the shelf. If they made/sent him the wrong part it's on them. If he ordered the wrong part he owns it.

nkaminar 03-28-2024 06:53 AM

If the car (or truck) has old upholstery that can be used for a pattern, then an industrial sewing machine and a little experience can be the best way to go. In my opinion, the sewing machines sold by Sailrite are the best for the money. Making new upholstery from scratch can be very rewarding.

rotorwrench 03-28-2024 01:29 PM

There is always two sides to every story. Mike generally goes out of his way to help folks out. That fact makes me wonder.

A good trim guy knows where to purchase materials for his trade. Pre-made stuff is the easy way to go but it can lead to other problems if the trimmer wanted to fabricate the stuff but ended up with materials from another trimmer that's in the early Ford source category.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 03-28-2024 03:00 PM

Yeah, I am inline with the others here that this just doesn't sound like Mike's way of doing business.

FWIW, people often confused the name Cartouche with Classtique, -and I would WAY more believe that Cartouche was the vendor. The other thing that makes me suspicious in this, is that Mike sells piece-goods however I am almost certain that Mike will not sell partial kits. Therefore if someone ordered pre-cut panels for a specific bodystyle, I would almost bet that wasn't Mike or his company that sold them. Cartouche did, however, sell pre-cut panels. In the final days or Cartouche and Ecklers, there is a high probability that they did send the wrong item.

And the final FWIW, Mike is the manufacturer of Model-A & T fabrics, so if this person wants to sew interiors for Model-As & Ts, his only source for materials that replicates original materials is Classtique.

alexiskai 03-28-2024 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 2300895)
Mike is the manufacturer of Model-A & T fabrics, so if this person wants to sew interiors for Model-As & Ts, his only source for materials that replicates original materials is Classtique.

So what I hear you saying is that we need to make sure Mike is taking a statin and a baby aspirin, and getting his steps in.

JayJay 03-28-2024 03:42 PM

I ordered an interior kit from Mike for delivery in November, so we gotta keep him going at least that long! And preferably for a lot longer.

Oldbluoval 03-28-2024 04:54 PM

“So what I hear you saying is that we need to make sure Mike is taking a statin and a baby aspirin, and getting his steps in.”

Could be customers need the double dosage?
Better not bite the hand that feed us!!!

CWPASADENA 03-28-2024 10:19 PM

My experience with Mike has been very good. I had a problem with the back window panel on the top for my 31 Deluxe Roadster and he replaced it very promptly without a problem.
I also would like to hear both sides of the story.

Chris W.