The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What was "that new car smell" in 1930? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90518)

roccaas 12-01-2012 09:40 AM

What was "that new car smell" in 1930?

I just picked up a new Taurus, and it has "that new car smell" (very plasticky).

Looking at the New Car Delivery Videos below (a real treat), what did a new A Model smell like when you pulled away from the dealer for the first time?

I'd assume paint, since the steel inside of the car is painted, and what was the fragrance of virgin mohair, especially when the stuffing was Spanish Moss!

Oil residue and paint burning off the manifold? The headliner? The steering wheel? I'm thinking that someone said the "tiller" was some sort of bakelite, and my 1947 Rotary Dial Western Electric bakelite phone still has a unique smell.

82 years on, mine smells like warm wool, engine oil, gasoline (slight), and Labrador Retreiver (as it is her car).

If you answer this post, we will know how old you are! So congratulations!

tbirdtbird 12-01-2012 10:47 AM

Re: What was "that new car smell" in 1930?

I'm not old enuf to give a direct answer. You are right, tho, the plastic smell in a new car is just that, plasticizers such as phthalates. They outgas and that is what the faint white coating is that gets on the inside of your windshield.

Some of the leather interiors (Deluxe Phaeton, etc) would have an obvious aroma.

Interesting question for thought.

allen 12-01-2012 10:51 AM

When we built Dads car with new paint and wood staining and new upholstery it too has a new smell after a few hundred miles starting to fade. but its a smell you don't forget

Barry B./ Ma. 12-01-2012 11:03 AM

The newest car I remember was our new 49 Ford tudor. I remember it smelled good, mostly the aroma of new rubber in the floor mats, window and door seals and the smell of new cloth upholstery. No plasticiziser smell in that car.

ken ct 12-01-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. (Post 544453)
The newest car I remember was our new 49 Ford tudor. I remember it smelled good, mostly the aroma of new rubber in the floor mats, window and door seals and the smell of new cloth upholstery. No plasticiziser smell in that car.

You going to powder mill tomorrow?? ken ct.:)

Barry B./ Ma. 12-01-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken ct (Post 544461)
You going to powder mill tomorrow?? ken ct.:)

Hi Ken, yes I'll be there around 7am., Hope to see you and Flamingo there.

Barry

ratamahata 12-01-2012 03:58 PM

Wish I could feel that new smell in a Model "A", maybe something metallic and greasy on the nose...

roccaas 12-01-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratamahata (Post 544633)
Wish I could feel that new smell in a Model "A", maybe something metallic and greasy on the nose...

ea'u de Model A:

600 Wt+Marvel Mystery Oil+thinner+lava soap.

Dab under fingernails.

Drive on!

socalplanedoc 12-01-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdtbird (Post 544435)
the plastic smell in a new car is just that, plasticizers such as phthalates.

I cant even say phthala...pfftthe..pahhitthssss... fitlilahdeedah..

Dal's Dream Car 12-01-2012 05:51 PM

I would suggest that we patent and sell a, "warm wool, engine oil, gasoline (slight), and Labrador Retreiver" Air Freshener specifically for Model A's. I Like that smell. Mine would be Germen Shepard scented however.

Sumfuncomet 12-01-2012 06:50 PM

I can comment on a late fifties, early sixties VW bug, if I was placed in one blindfolded I'd know where I was, a unique smell. My 39 Buick had the wool, mohair smell in it.."good stuff!

Dave Mc 12-01-2012 09:27 PM

I'd bet the smell of the nitro cellulose paint was dominant back then,but I don't know either, when I built my 33 the upholstery is all leather and that was the New Car Smell in it.reminded me of a new baseball glove.

Tudortomnz 12-02-2012 12:23 AM

When I got my Tudor in 1969 it had a particular smell of old cloth & kapok stuffing of the decaying original upholstery.
It still has that smell although the coverings & headlining have been changed since the early '80's.

[email protected] 12-02-2012 01:00 AM

When I bought my Barn Fresh 30 Coupe it was from a pig farmer who stored the car in one of his pig sheds. It had no interior and had vinyl covered seats but it took years for the smell of pig stuff to finally leave the car. The pig smell must have been absorbed into the wood. Maybe I should have washed it down with Marvel Mystery Oil. That was my new car smell and I am not wanting to relive it.. ;)