The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Keeping a Model T running (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266969)

bdtutton 07-28-2019 10:31 PM

Keeping a Model T running

I am planning to buy a 1915 Model T within a year or two. I have a 1930 Model A that I drive to work and for pleasure many thousands of miles a year. Because it is driven a lot I spend quite a bit of time fixing things to keep it reliably running.
Here is my question....If I buy a Model T that is in good shape and drive it often, how much maintenance will it take to keep it running relative to a Model A. I know the limitations a Model T has, but many of the roads around here have speed limits of 25-45mph and most people are polite to older cars.
Anyone have experience with both Model Ts and Model As?

29spcoupe 07-29-2019 06:28 AM

Re: Keeping a Model T running

I have both T's and A's. The A is more comfortable, faster, lights are better, etc. The T is more fun for me. If you drive the T as it was meant, it requires no more fixing than the A.
At 35 mph the T will run all day long, at 45 mph, it will start to break. Just my opinion.

Scottio57 07-30-2019 10:29 PM

I would tend to agree. I have both, an A and T, and my T is my go to car. The A is more, oh, modern. It drives more like a modern car. The T is indeed slower but if you do not push it to go faster than it’s made to it is very dependable. The T is still a kick to drive even after all these years. Other people love to see it going down the road and enjoy it as much as I do. I use mine, as some of us do, as a kind of daily driver.

BUBBAS IGNITION 07-31-2019 09:57 AM

After many happy miles in a T i offer this advise. Join a active T group and drive the hell out of it. Pay attention to what puts the others guys to the side of the rode and then fix that part on your car. They make tons of stuff to make your t very driveable. Our club used to do anywhere from 80 to 125 miles each day.......

redmodelt 07-31-2019 12:38 PM

Aside from the normal stuff (LOL), if the car is running coils then they need to be up to stuff. Then there is adjusting the bands for the transmission as needed and different steering then A's. Mostly it is just ,maintenance, grease oil etc. That and remembering you only have a transmission brake unless equipped with aftermarket outside brakes, along with remembering just because you can lock the brakes up does not mean you are stopping, so plan ahead. Once you learn to use the the three pedals and hand throttle/spark, driving is not bad. :) If and when you get one, get the repair manuals along with owners manual, tells just about everything you need to know, to fix or drive.

bdtutton 07-31-2019 10:32 PM

Thank you for all the responses....I drive my A to work as often as I can and when I get a T I hope to drive it also. I understand the A is more modern and I regularly run 50mph+ for many miles at a time when I need to. Most of the time I try to run 45mph.
..I have mapped out two back road routes to work that are smooth and lightly traveled where running 35-40mph would work well. I was thinking a Ruckstell axel would make running at that speed easier on everything. Mostly flat, smooth roads.

redmodelt 07-31-2019 11:19 PM

Ruckstell is only an under drive. While it gives you 4 speeds the lowest is like granny low. High is still Ford direct. It also is not a shift thru like the A transmission. If your driving on flat roads, a Ruckstell is really not needed as it does not add anything to the top end. 30-35 MPH is really in the range of most T's running speed with a stock good engine without mods.

ronn 08-02-2019 08:10 AM

maybe you should consider a T speedster- then you will have the top end and best of both worlds.

CharlieB 08-02-2019 11:27 AM

No doubt about it (in my opinion) there's more to keeping a T going than an A. It is a fun car to drive in the right situations but not many of those exist on todays roads with today's drivers. Get one. Experience it. It's the only true way to find out.

rotorwrench 08-02-2019 11:47 AM

A kid on J Leno's garage built a 27 roadster that he can get over 60 MPH with and it's still a pretty basic 27 T engine with just a few mods. He uses a Chicago over/under in it. Here is a link. I got a kick out of that. At least there are still some young folks that have an interest like most of us do even if he is a hot rodder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paiqx1FuwVw

redmodelt 08-02-2019 06:48 PM

I have met him, have not ridden in the car but have seen it several times. He only lives across the river a few miles away.