The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speedo cable too short, ideas? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157148)

kressej 12-17-2014 12:19 AM

Speedo cable too short, ideas?

I put in a Mitchell OD in my Vicky last winter. Bought a new speedo cable, and it keeps slipping out of the Mitchell cable housing. If it was 1/2" longer I wouldn't have a problem. Any ideas on an extension or ??? Thanks and Happy Holidays!

700rpm 12-17-2014 01:32 AM

Re: Speedo cable too short, ideas?

A speedometer shop might be able to make a longer one for you. Probably won't have one in LaGrande, but Google is your friend. :)

Roadster62 12-17-2014 01:41 AM

Is there a 28-29 and 30-31 length? Bob

CarlG 12-17-2014 02:28 AM

Did you get your "new" cable from Mitchell? I could be wrong, but I thought that they shipped a longer cable with their OD.

Keith True 12-17-2014 08:57 AM

Is just the cable itself? Or,the housing too? If it's just the cable I seem to remember new cables coming with a little slug to fit into the drive.I think it was about 5/8 long.Not sure why it was done that way,unless they were using an off-the-shelf end that was easily available that really was too short.

Floats 12-17-2014 11:38 AM

Hi Kressej,
If you cant find a speedo repair shop, try a cable repair shop. They repair and make up brake and clutch cables for cars and bikes. My local cable guy made up a new speedo cable for my A some time ago.
Happy holidays guys.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

ursus 12-17-2014 11:44 AM

You might check into cables made for the 32-39 (possibly even to 1948) Ford cars and pickups. They are all longer than the Model-A cables and many have the same end fittings as the 30-31 Fords. I bought one at a swap meet thinking it was for a Model-A but discovered that the part number was for a 1930's Ford V-8. It fit perfectly but was about 2 inches longer than the Model-A cable.

Brother Hesekiel 12-17-2014 12:37 PM

When I was messing with my not working overdrive/speedo setup, I drove to North Hollywood Speedometer and they made me a new one while I was waiting, exactly to my specifications. Took about 5 minutes. Put yours in a $5.95 priority mail box, send it to them with a note how much longer you want it, and within a week you'll have it in the mail.

John 12-17-2014 01:30 PM

Re: Custom Model A Speedo Cable

Get in touch with Smith and Jones Antique Auto Parts in West Columbia, S.C.and tell them what ends and what length cable you need. They can custom make a cable for you. They did one for my overdrive setup.

John

kressej 12-18-2014 12:21 AM

Thanks guys for all the great ideas! Merry Christmas!!!