The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fan Removal -- 2 Blade (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78912)

sethkestenbaum 08-05-2012 11:15 AM

Fan Removal -- 2 Blade

I am attempting to replace my steel 2-blade fan with a new aluminum one. As it is the 2 blade, I understand you can replace this WITHOUT removing the radiator. I have the hood off, the radiator tilted a little forward, removed the castle nut and can't get the fan blade/pulley off. I've tapped the pulley gently with a rubber mallet. No luck. I have the fan knock off tool, but it seems that I would have to remove the radiator to use it.

Suggestions? How are you guys removing the old blades?

Seth

mstover 08-05-2012 11:21 AM

Re: Fan Removal -- 2 Blade

Seth
I removed the radiator which gave me complete access to the fan and water pump. It's really not hard to do, just two bolts.
Mike

Ron in Quincy 08-05-2012 11:22 AM

Seth,

I believe the easiest way to remove the fan and not cause any damage to the radiator would be to remove the radiator; at least this would be the way I would approch the project.

Ron

juke joint johnny 08-05-2012 11:44 AM

Try removing the waterpump with the fan ,
You should have room to do that as the rad is pushed forward ,
Then take the fan off the pump .
It works for me and it's easier than removing the rad

John Cochran

Tom Endy 08-05-2012 11:56 AM

I recommend you remove the water pump from the car. Obtain a bolt about 2" long, along with two nuts, that are the same thread as the water pump shaft. Remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the pump shaft. Put the two nuts on the obtained bolt. Screw one of the nuts down so that half of the nut is on the pump shaft and the other half on the bolt. Make sure the end of the bolt is tight up against the end of the pump shaft. Screw the second nut down to lock the first nut. Hold the pump by the fan so that the pump is hanging free. Hit the end of the bolt with a hammer. The pump should drop free. make sure something is under it to catch it like a pillow or a helpers hand.

You can buy water pump mounting bolts from Bratton's that have the ends machined to look like a nut on a stud. Replace the studs in the head with the bolts and the next time you have to remove the pump you won't have to remove the radiaror.

Tom Endy

sethkestenbaum 08-05-2012 12:18 PM

I removed the radiator -- which I have done a few times before in Boston. I still can't get the darn fan off the shaft. I don't want to remove the pump, as I don't yet have a "back up" for it. If banging on the pulley and using the fan knock off doesn't work, I guess I will have to take off the pump.

sethkestenbaum 08-05-2012 01:24 PM

Ok, I took the pump off, used the fan removal tool, smacked the living daylights out of the tool with the fan on my knees. FAN IS OFF.... now I want to install the water pump shaft collar...... but I can't get the woodrift key out of the shaft.

Suggestions?

Tom Wesenberg 08-05-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sethkestenbaum (Post 473858)
Ok, I took the pump off, used the fan removal tool, smacked the living daylights out of the tool with the fan on my knees. FAN IS OFF.... now I want to install the water pump shaft collar...... but I can't get the woodrift key out of the shaft.

Suggestions?

A light hammer tap on a chisel should make it roll up and out.

1931 flamingo 08-05-2012 01:40 PM

Try mixing some acetone and ATF and soak the key with it. Seth, better yet get the new pump and the special bolts and be done with it once and for all. JMO
Paul in CT

Tom Endy 08-05-2012 01:48 PM

I have a small pair of vice grips that I use with good results on woodruff keys and axle shaft keys. If I can get a grip on it, a tap with a hammer often will remove it.

Tom Endy

Mitch//pa 08-05-2012 01:52 PM

agree it beats doing it on the road leakless pump, special fake bolts is what i would use
mitch

ora masters 08-05-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juke joint johnny (Post 473802)
Try removing the waterpump with the fan ,
You should have room to do that as the rad is pushed forward ,
Then take the fan off the pump .
It works for me and it's easier than removing the rad

John Cochran

right john a lot easer than takeing raidtor loose

sethkestenbaum 08-05-2012 08:58 PM

yes, yes, yes.... I should have just gotten the new pump and housing etc.... yes, yes, yes, it would have been the difference of doing it one..... I didn't do it. I know. I know. I know. I am an idiot. My next order will include the leakless pump. The good news is that I was able to bump the wordruff key in and grab the edge with a set of channel locks. It is out. With the collar added my old pump has NO PLAY. So, it is going to be my "back up". The radiar, pump, fan, etc are all "back on the car". It took all day. I didn't get the headlights wired up as I promised myself I would abandon "henry's way" and change them to modern connection. I need to do this tomorrow so I can take the car out in the evening. I'll post some photos/videos within the next few days.

As always, thanks all. It looks like a Phily road trip is a possibility for the weekend of the 18th. I need to firm up the plans and keep an eye on the weather.

columbiA 08-05-2012 11:20 PM

Easiest way to remove 2-blade fan is to put fan horizontal,remove WP nuts & roll pump up & out. sometimes you need to tilt rad till it meets HL bar.Stone guards make it a bit more difficult unless you remove the upper bar bolts & loosen the lower ones.The fake studs do make it easier to re & re pump but its never neccesary to remove rad.To remove fan blade,I use the deep nut off the king pin lock bolt.Either put a couple washers in the nut or grind it a bit shorter & tighten it down making sure there is a bit of space between nut & hub.Keep nut tight between hits to protect threads.A couple hits should do it.When installing an aluminum fan always use a thin hardened steel washer or the nut will wear into the softer metal & blade will become loose.Also make sure the woodruff key doesnt roll out of place when installing.