The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Now what the @?&$ (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165719)

vern hodgson 04-05-2015 11:14 PM

Now what the @?&$

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, was able to finagle the spark rod into submission, next was to install the starter rod and the hole is almost one and a half inches off to the left. Engine is centered in frame and cowl seems sitting where it belongs. What would cause this much misalignment?? This body comes from Canada.

Mike V. Florida 04-05-2015 11:18 PM

Re: Now what the @?&$

Can't wait to see what they have to say about this. I have not a clue!

vern hodgson 04-06-2015 12:01 AM

Crazy question, was this the original purpose for the curved starter rod?? Was the cowl penetration relocated at some point? What is a good measuring point for the horizontal location of the penetration and what would that be in inches?

marc silva 04-06-2015 12:10 AM

I just went out and looked at mine. That hole is off. Are you sure that rod is mounted correctly? There is no way that is in the right position..Canadian or not.

marc silva 04-06-2015 12:12 AM

I have never heard of a curved starter rod.

dlshady 04-06-2015 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vern hodgson (Post 1064034)
Ok, was able to finagle the spark rod into submission, next was to install the starter rod and the hole is almost one and a half inches off to the left. Engine is centered in frame and cowl seems sitting where it belongs. What would cause this much misalignment?? This body comes from Canada.

The hole for the starter rod was offset to the passenger side on the earlier 1928 bodies, hence the offset starter rod. Can you tell us a little more about your body. IE: What year is it? Left hand emergency brake? Any other of the VE28 features?

vern hodgson 04-06-2015 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlshady (Post 1064053)
The hole for the starter rod was offset to the passenger side on the earlier 1928 bodies, hence the offset starter rod. Can you tell us a little more about your body. IE: What year is it? Left hand emergency brake? Any other of the VE28 features?

The car was assembled in Canada, a Tudor, fire wall date is 1928, e brake is pistol grip, on right side of gear shift. Have never seen date on the frame. Vern

dumb person 04-06-2015 02:57 AM

Think mine has a curved starter rod. RHD hole maybe?

Mike V. Florida 04-06-2015 03:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know very little about the VE28's.

Restoration guidelines;

The offset starter switch rod was obsolete at about
vehicle 50,000.

vern hodgson 04-06-2015 09:52 AM

What are other defining features of early 28 bodies?

Tom Wesenberg 04-06-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vern hodgson (Post 1064214)
What are other defining features of early 28 bodies?

The parking brake lever is by the left kick panel for the first 5 months.

Skeezixx 04-06-2015 10:04 AM

Looks like a case for a solenoid and starter button on the dash.

dlshady 04-06-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1064216)
The parking brake lever is by the left kick panel for the first 5 months.

This is probably the easiest way to tell quickly, but unfortunately the brake lever hole remained for a while after the brake lever was moved to the center. On top of that, the starter rod was changed to a straight rod quite a while before the brake lever was moved, so it's not a dead giveaway. The earliest Tudor bodies had several unique features that would help to pinpoint the production date of the body but most are difficult to explain without showing photos.

As for the firewall date, it's very likely the gas tank may have been changed somewhere along the line so the date isn't a dead giveaway either. Same with the emergency brake lever on the transmission. It's very likely that the transmission top was changed over the years.

Is there a body number stamped onto the subrail underneath the front of the driver seat? That would be helpful.

Deron

Gary Karr 04-06-2015 10:57 AM

You clearly have an E-28 cowl. What choke rod support do you have on the gas tank? I can see by your picture that the lip where the cowl lacing attaches is also '28 as it does not protrude forward beyond the front edge. AS Tom mentioned above, you most likely will have the hole by the left kick panel for the left brake.

vern hodgson 04-06-2015 11:21 AM

I will look at it now, thanks

Bob C 04-06-2015 11:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures that may help. Your hole
looks like it is also to low.

Bob

160B 04-06-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1064267)
Here are some pictures that may help. Your hole
looks like it is also to low.

Bob

In looking at the photos posted by Bob C, the hole for the starter rod is slightly to the left of the "D" nut at the bottom of the firewall, in the photo posted by Vern Hodgson the hole for the starter rod is significantly further to the left. The hole in the Bob C photo appears to be at the same height as the photo posted by BOB C.

?????????????????????????????

Tom Wesenberg 04-06-2015 12:08 PM

In post #1, what is the large round hole in the motor mount on the forward side?

dlshady 04-06-2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1064280)
In post #1, what is the large round hole in the motor mount on the forward side?

That's one of those Canadian motor mounts, eh? :D

Seriously though, it really is one of the Canadian cast mounts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Karr (Post 1064249)
You clearly have an E-28 cowl. What choke rod support do you have on the gas tank? I can see by your picture that the lip where the cowl lacing attaches is also '28 as it does not protrude forward beyond the front edge. AS Tom mentioned above, you most likely will have the hole by the left kick panel for the left brake.

He said it has a firewall date of 28 so I'm betting the tank has been changed. It's going to be interesting to see just how early the body really is.

Wm J. 04-06-2015 12:32 PM

That is a Canadian motor mount.