The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Evap-O-Rust Problem (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123122)

Rowdy 11-13-2013 11:00 AM

Evap-O-Rust Problem

A couple of years ago I started soaking my shocks in Evap-O-Rust. In the midst of this is when my daughter Jessica became ill and put us on a 10 week tour of hospitals. I had been soaking them two by two in a plastic coffee can and putting them under the bench overnight and rinsing them the next day. Needless to say in the cloud of smoke and confusion we left in, I forgot about them. Last night while doing more cleaning in the shop I opened the coffee can and there they were covered in thick sticky goo that to this point will not simply rinse off. Does anyone know what will take the dried on goo off at this point? Any fail safe ideas are welcome. Thanks Rod

Bruce Lancaster 11-13-2013 11:47 AM

Re: Evap-O-Rust Problem

Running warm water and a fingernail cleaning type brush.

jim1932 11-13-2013 11:48 AM

Did you try soaking for a couple of days in fresh evap-o-rust?

redmodelt 11-13-2013 11:53 AM

I would try the hot soapy water and brush first.

H. L. Chauvin 11-13-2013 12:11 PM

Hi Rowdy,

POR 15 "Marine Clean", is a water based product which some may think it is too expensive; hence, maybe why few try it.

However, if you do not have time to mess around with scrubbing with other cleaning products, get a gallon from someone like Snyder's for cleaning all types of Model A crud.

When diluted I can usually make about 4-5 gallons of cleaning solution which will last a long time for Model A use.

Strongest solution I make is usually in small batches of one (1) part MC to four (4) parts "hot" water with water taken from hot water faucet. Solution stays hot & does not cool off in small batches.

Cleans "any" & "all" petroleum base product even those as thick as tar or gum.

I know castor oil & milk of magnesia works for humans, but I'd hate to see someone take a teaspoon of MC as a laxative -- in my humble opinion, one may lose 75 - 80 pounds with a one (1) teaspoon dose of MC. LOL

Hope this helps.

Mitch//pa 11-13-2013 12:54 PM

give evaporust tech support a quick call

Rex_A_Lott 11-13-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1932 (Post 764482)
Did you try soaking for a couple of days in fresh evap-o-rust?

This would be what I would try 1st. There is an old saying "like dissolves like"...usually applied to acids and alkalines , but it works on common stuff too, like coffee, wine, etc. Good Luck:)

Rowdy 11-13-2013 04:33 PM

Thanks guys, will see if I can find their number. Other than getting it rised off I hope the shocks are not badly damaged as if memory serves me correctly those were 2 of the covers that were correct for my delivery sedan. Rod

Steve Wastler 11-13-2013 08:06 PM

That really sucks, keep us posted on your findings and best of luck!

Rich in Tucson 11-13-2013 08:53 PM

I had a similar fubar with some shock arms that I forgot about. Evaporust and the like under different names avidly supports growth by microorganisms. In fact, what often kills its' derusting action is contamination by bacteria which eat it.

So any cleaner high in phosphate or perhaps even better ammonia that will dissolve organic residue may be of help in cleaning.

What shocked me was the additional corrosion, to the point where one arm was almost severed, occurred where two arms touched each other. Apparently I made a destructive battery; hopefully your covers fared better.