The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who makes the best model A woody kits? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28814)

Ghost of elmirage 02-13-2011 06:48 PM

Who makes the best model A woody kits?

I am thinking about the possibility of putting a model A woody body on my original chassis. But what company makes the the best repop woody kits? All input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Geoff

Roadster62 02-13-2011 07:16 PM

Re: Who makes the best model A woody kits?

Great question. I've known about a collection all the metal bits for a 1929 that would be a great start on a rebuild.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 02-13-2011 07:19 PM

Are you asking about a Station Wagon that is original, --or just something that looks close? Pleasantville is probably one of the best. It is what I own.

allen 02-13-2011 07:27 PM

I search for two years yes Pleasantville is the best I found,
Met him at Hershey and was sold once i saw the wood work very nice all oak, done to a point car, only draw back was the price on hardware. I could swallow the kit price on the wood, You will need a glass of water for the hardware, great people to work with also. He builds the 150a and 150b also a 255,

rdscouple 02-13-2011 08:32 PM

They are not oak. They're maple with birch plywood panels and basswood roof slats

allen 02-13-2011 08:40 PM

sorry just know there were not pine and plywood,

Ghost of elmirage 02-13-2011 09:12 PM

thanks for all the replies I am just talking about a wood kit for a body. I have the cowl and all that stuff

Fred K-OR 02-13-2011 10:19 PM

It would depend on what kind you want. If you want a Huckster (see my picture at left) then Lentsville A's in Holland, MI makes the best (I could find) complete ready to bolt on body. Most of it solid Red Oak with some ply in doors, etc. But well done and very solid.

Barry B./ Ma. 02-13-2011 10:22 PM

Check out Wagon Works in Iowa. They make a nice kit.

pat in Santa Cruz 02-13-2011 10:31 PM

the only company that advertises in "Wagon Wheels", the newsletter of the Woody Wagons chapter of both MAFCA and MARC, is Pleasantville.

Mike V. Florida 02-14-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost of elmirage (Post 160559)
thanks for all the replies I am just talking about a wood kit for a body. I have the cowl and all that stuff

What kind????
Station wagon,
Depot Hack
Huckster
Custom designs like a C cab

Help us help you. Do you have a picture of another car that looks like what you want to build?

Roadster62 02-14-2011 02:48 AM

Is the 255 the Station Wagon Delivery? I draged home the remains of one from the Town Dump back in the 1960's, still have the window regulator from the drivers door.
Quote:

Originally Posted by allen (Post 160493)
I search for two years yes Pleasantville is the best I found,
Met him at Hershey and was sold once i saw the wood work very nice all oak, done to a point car, only draw back was the price on hardware. I could swallow the kit price on the wood, You will need a glass of water for the hardware, great people to work with also. He builds the 150a and 150b also a 255,

allen 02-14-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadster62 (Post 160695)
Is the 255 the Station Wagon Delivery? I draged home the remains of one from the Town Dump back in the 1960's, still have the window regulator from the drivers door.

yes it is. He will use the same front doors on 150b and the 255, the 255 has roll up windows again very nicely done,

denis4x4 02-14-2011 11:34 AM

Pleasantville and S&S Industries is the former Hudson Wagon Works. I'm in the process of building a huckster using their plans and making some modifications along the way. If you buy their plans, I highly recommend that you also purchase their DVD as there are some differences between the two and the DVD clears them up.

Mike V. Florida 02-15-2011 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost of elmirage (Post 160559)

You mean interior wood?

Barry B./ Ma. 02-15-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 160781)
Pleasantville and S&S Industries is the former Hudson Wagon Works. I'm in the process of building a huckster using their plans and making some modifications along the way. If you buy their plans, I highly recommend that you also purchase their DVD as there are some differences between the two and the DVD clears them up.

Denis, If I'm not mistaken I believe "Wagon Works" is the former "Hudson Wagon Works" and Pleasantville in N.Y. makes the true repro wagon and Special delivery bodies and S&S is their factory that make the steel hardware for station wagons.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 02-15-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. (Post 161191)
Denis, If I'm not mistaken I believe "Wagon Works" is the former "Hudson Wagon Works" and Pleasantville in N.Y. makes the true repro wagon and Special delivery bodies and S&S is their factory that make the steel hardware for station wagons.

Yes

denis4x4 02-15-2011 11:26 AM

I stand corrected.

praedad 01-10-2017 03:13 PM

I just tried contacting Pleasantville, they went out of business December 2016. Any current suggestions on an alternate source for original station wagon wood?

ronn 01-10-2017 03:34 PM

There is a guy in Maine who builds spec bodies for A's and T's who is always listed on ebay. Might want to try him.