The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Modern tube shocks (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11523)

Jackw 08-23-2010 07:35 AM

Modern tube shocks

Any comments about the installation or performance of the modern tube shocks on a Model A.

John LaVoy 08-23-2010 07:56 AM

Re: Modern tube shocks

We reviewed shocks in Vol 1 Issue 3 and Vol 4 Issue 4 and Vol 2 Issue 2 of the Model A Times. Tube shocks need to be adjustable to allow for the vraious weights of the Model A body.

1931 flamingo 08-23-2010 08:31 AM

Hydraulic tube shock probably better than a gas filled shock. JMO
Paul in CT

johnsor 08-23-2010 10:37 AM

I tried tube shocks on my light roadster. Too stiff and rough for that light little car. Maybe ok on a sedan body?? I installed original Ford rebuit shocks and it is fine with those.

Pete 08-23-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsor (Post 66307)
I tried tube shocks on my light roadster. Too stiff and rough for that light little car. Maybe ok on a sedan body?? I installed original Ford rebuit shocks and it is fine with those.

Original Ford shocks were designed to work with the car they were installed on. The car was designed to do a specific job. The combination works good.
Adding aftermarket shocks has gotten a bad rap because people don't understand what is involved.
Somebody puts together a "kit" and sells it as a cure all replacement.
Most of the time the kit is designed around a certain off the shelf shock that just happens to fit into the available space. Never mind the shock was originally intended to be used on a car weighing half again more than a model A. Of course the car is going to ride stiff...It may handle like a race car on the corners though but who cares...It rides hard so tube shocks are all lumped into the "ride hard" category.
Not one person in a hundred will take the time to research the available shocks to get ones that will work on a model A. It can be done.

ford31 08-23-2010 01:49 PM

my 29 pu had originals and was good,my now pu is 31 had no shocks rode ok with out leans quit abit on corners put tube shocks on ride is still good but was not bad before now it does not lean and ride is good

hardtimes 08-23-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 66404)
Original Ford shocks were designed to work with the car they were installed on. The car was designed to do a specific job. The combination works good.
Adding aftermarket shocks has gotten a bad rap because people don't understand what is involved.
Somebody puts together a "kit" and sells it as a cure all replacment.
Most of the time the kit is designed around a certain off the shelf shock that just happens to fit into the available space. Never mind the shock was originally intended to be used on a car weighing half again more than a model A. Of course the car is going to ride stiff...It may handle like a race car on the corners though but who cares...It rides hard so tube shocks are all lumped into the "ride hard" category.
Not one person in a hundred will take the time to research the available shocks to get ones that will work on a model A. It can be done.

Jackw,
Pay close attn to what Pete is saying here,as that is the answer to your Q. About five yrs ago, I did exactly as he says here and my '30 (light weight) roadster rides/corners very well. BTW, I did NOT buy a 'kit' off the vendors. The 'right' hydraulic tube shocks are available.

marc hildebrant 08-23-2010 03:48 PM

What would be the "right" shocks ?

Marc

cars56 08-23-2010 04:19 PM

Running tubes with no issue in my 30 coupe.
Roads not 2 bad here.

jaguar6165 08-23-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc hildebrant (Post 66475)
What would be the "right" shocks ?

Marc

Thats what i would like to know. I have a 28 briggs fordor so its a little heavier. Any shocks out there that anyone would suggest using?

Patrick L. 08-24-2010 08:11 AM

It seems like the fellas that took the time to figure out which shocks work best want to keep that info to themselves..

Ed Pitts 08-24-2010 08:54 AM

I'm using 1977 Dodge Monaco front shocks on the front of my coupe and 1974 Pinto station wagon rear shocks on the rear of the coupe. The Monaco shocks are threaded on both ends and are short and the Pinto shocks are threaded on both ends as well. Ed

Pete 08-24-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 66829)
It seems like the fellas that took the time to figure out which shocks work best want to keep that info to themselves..

Not at all but I'm kind of gimpy from topping trees right now and can't crawl under the car to get the part number off the shocks...
This project was done several years ago and it involved a couple hours with my nose in the catalogs at a NAPA store.
The next time I will use race car shocks because they are very easy to identify as to compression and rebound rates and the mounts can be made so they can be changed in a couple minutes...And another thing, they are cheap on Ebay.

john in illinois 08-24-2010 06:42 PM

I use Snyders kit. The shocks are hydraulic,not gas. They ride smooth and the mounting is very neat.