The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   aod trans behind flathead (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95476)

yellowf100 01-23-2013 06:28 PM

aod trans behind flathead

have a buddy that wants to put an aod trans kit from speedway into his 52 f1, it has a flathead with 2 deuces and t5 5 speed now, has anyone done this conversion that could give a little insight into the challenges and issues that we might run into, we know we will have to have driveshaft made and make or modify crossmember, will we have to modify the floor for clearance? and was it possible to hook the tv cable to a two duece set up and have it work with the proper pressure needed, any help would be appreciated

Dec211975 01-23-2013 08:29 PM

Re: aod trans behind flathead

The throttle pressure (TV) should be adjusted with a pressure gauge and there is also a special gauge to set the clearance at the throttle connection. It is not difficult to adjust the TV if you have done one before if you don’t have the experience or the gauge maybe hire some one to do it. I have not attempted to put an AOD behind a flathead but I would think it would be doable. If you attempt it don't drive it before having the TV cable adjusted you will burn the AOD up in a heart beat.
Regards,

Brian

paul2748 01-23-2013 08:44 PM

Check with the aftermarket trans guys. There is a modification that can be made to solve the problem with the TV adjustment..

From what I have heard, the AOD is quite the power robber. Unless an overdrive is essential, a C4 will do the trick and robs a lot less power.

gearhead1952 01-23-2013 08:53 PM

The AOD is bigger and heavier than the C4 too.

ford3 01-23-2013 08:54 PM

pauls right on the power robbing part of the aod, you need to start looking at least a 4:11 rear gear

Ol' Ron 01-23-2013 11:38 PM

I have a friend with a 276 ci L-100 cam and a few other goodies running an AOD. Not a problem, no mods to trans for the converter lock up early trans have a cable spedo gear and yee a 4.10 rear end get's this moving quite well and the OD gives 20 mpg. I wish I went this way instead of the C4.

yellowf100 01-24-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dec211975 (Post 577340)
The throttle pressure (TV) should be adjusted with a pressure gauge and there is also a special gauge to set the clearance at the throttle connection. It is not difficult to adjust the TV if you have done one before if you don’t have the experience or the gauge maybe hire some one to do it. I have not attempted to put an AOD behind a flathead but I would think it would be doable. If you attempt it don't drive it before having the TV cable adjusted you will burn the AOD up in a heart beat.
Regards,

Brian

i have plenty of experiance setting aods my 53 f100 is set up with one and has never been a issue but thanks for the input..

Krylon32 01-24-2013 07:59 PM

I've done several for customers using the Speedway kit to an 8ba