The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1932 brake rods (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128404)

Capn John 01-11-2014 03:08 PM

1932 brake rods

The rods I have (original) have an eye manufactured into them on one end and a threaded end. After looking at numerous parts houses I find the adjustable clevis, pin etc but no rods with the eye manufactured into one end.
ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS????
THANKS!!

mvee33 01-11-2014 07:19 PM

Re: 1932 brake rods

Hi Capn John, assuming that it is the rods that need repair,you have three options.
Drill the worn hole to the next oversize and use oversize pins which are available.
Weld the worn hole up and re-drill to the pin diameter.
Make up new rods from 5/16 rod, re-thread the ends and screw on the clevis ends.
There may be an issue with clearance with the front rods to the perch bolt if you choose to replace the clevis ends, the welding or drilling oversize would be better for the front.
Good luck with it.

mick 01-11-2014 08:23 PM

Another lead .... C & G Early Ford Parts ( Google them ) used to carry 32-38 brake rods . I just went on line and they don't list them anymore but the 2011 catalog does . Maybe a call to them will find out if they are available . I have a set of them for sale , but for 35-6 ....? could probably be easily modified . Mick

Charlie Stephens 01-11-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvee33 (Post 801613)
Hi Capn John, assuming that it is the rods that need repair,you have three options.
Drill the worn hole to the next oversize and use oversize pins which are available.
Weld the worn hole up and re-drill to the pin diameter.
Make up new rods from 5/16 rod, re-thread the ends and screw on the clevis ends.
There may be an issue with clearance with the front rods to the perch bolt if you choose to replace the clevis ends, the welding or drilling oversize would be better for the front.
Good luck with it.

Option 4, find rods from another year that are too long but have the correct eye, cut them to length and rethread them. I did this on my '32 years ago but don't remember what rods I used. The now closed Ford Parts Obsolete in Long Beach California had NOS rods that could be shortened. You need original rods (or maybe older repros) as the threads were die cut on them unlike many if not all of the current repros that have rolled threads (they are smaller diameter). Measure the length you need and call the major suppliers and ask them what they have laying around because parts like this will not be in their catalog.

Charlie Stephens

Ian NZ 01-12-2014 02:07 AM

Just go to your nearest steel supplier and ask for ground finish 5/16'' High tensile steel rod, thread each end with 5/16" N.F dies and fit new clevis on each end with a locking nut.

Capn John 01-12-2014 02:17 AM

Thanks ALL!!
I found model A truck brake rods with the eye. JOBLOT, MAC'S & SNYDERS. A few are longer and as suggested can be cut down. I'll double check with the provides to see about diameter, etc

Capn John 01-12-2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian NZ (Post 801812)
Just go to your nearest steel supplier and ask for ground finish 5/16'' High tensile steel rod, thread each end with 5/16" N.F dies and fit new clevis on each end with a locking nut.

Unfortunately the clevis is at one end only and an eye at the other. It wouldn't fit with 2 clevis.

va t 01-12-2014 01:05 PM

Obsolete and Classic Auto Parts Inc of Oklahoma City shows '32 brake rods in their catalog. However I'm thinking of forging and threading drill rod for a set.

David J 01-12-2014 01:28 PM

Try Little Dearborn in MPLS MN . I have bought several sets from them .

Capn John 01-12-2014 01:57 PM

Thanks again, both of those hit a HOME RUN!!!