The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My New Project! CCPU (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66810)

jakeknapp29 03-29-2012 07:05 PM

My New Project! CCPU

4 Attachment(s)
Last Fall I got a good deal on a 29 chassis. I've been looking all winter for a good body and last weekend I finally got one. It's a 28/29 pickup cab and it came from Kansas. It was an AA truck and it's been sitting out in a field since the 50's. It's in good shape as far as sheet metal, It needs all new wood though. My plan is to restore it according to the touring class judging standards.

Gary WA 03-29-2012 07:10 PM

Re: My New Project! CCPU

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a great project!!! Keep this site up to date on your progress. It's fun to see them go together.

Vanspeed 03-29-2012 08:03 PM

I just got my 29 CCPU running and drove it today after a very long nap. Glad to see another one coming together.

Dan Partain 03-29-2012 08:53 PM

Nice find Jake, looks like a great cab, that will be a nice little pickup.

BashawT 03-29-2012 10:53 PM

Awesome! Keep us posted with progress!

SoCal_Alden 03-29-2012 11:23 PM

Looks like a fun project.
Every Guy needs a Truck!!

Mike V. Florida 03-30-2012 12:11 AM

BEST OF LUCK and yes, please post pictures!

al's28/33 03-30-2012 08:04 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!.....take your time and be patient, it's always too easy to spend more than you thought. Keep us posted on your progress.

WTSHNN 03-30-2012 08:56 AM

A coupe, a speedster and now a truck? You really like those two-seaters!

-Tim

jakeknapp29 03-30-2012 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone! I will post pictures on this thread as I go along. Any pics or advice on 28/29 pickups would be helpful, especially on wood and top installation. I'm going to start taking the cab apart this weekend.
Tim-I guess I figured if I get enough two seaters I'll have the same amount of space as a sedan.:D

1931 flamingo 03-30-2012 12:01 PM

jakeknapp29: Look for some recent posts by Vanspeed, as he just did a roof redo on a 29. Also learn to use the 'search" function.

Paul in CT

Great Lakes Greg 03-30-2012 09:19 PM

I think Touring Class is the way to go. You'll have the satisfaction of a well restored truck without all the aggravation of having the cadmium plated what-not being the correct month part for the truck. Fine point is great for the hobby, but a nice, clean, correct truck will be nearly as rewarding without the obsessive details. Hopefully I didn't just step on some toes.

Tom Wesenberg 03-30-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg (Post 397124)
I think Touring Class is the way to go. You'll have the satisfaction of a well restored truck without all the aggravation of having the cadmium plated what-not being the correct month part for the truck. Fine point is great for the hobby, but a nice, clean, correct truck will be nearly as rewarding without the obsessive details. Hopefully I didn't just step on some toes.

My toes have been stepped on so much that now I have to wear clown shoes!:p:D

jakeknapp29 04-06-2012 04:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm off and running! I've got the cab pretty well stripped down to bare bones. There is some minor rust in the cowl and in the rear of the floor pan...easy fixes. The doors are in excellent condition and surprisingly the door pins came out relatively easy! My next move is to get it all out to the sandblaster and then start patching the rust holes.

Dan Partain 04-06-2012 05:10 PM

The rear pieces of your cab look to be in great shape, not so beat up like most.

There is a lot of info on these trucks here on fordbarn, try searches in the archives for 82-A, 29CC, 29 CC, 28-29CC, etc. and you will be busy reading for a while.

Thanks for the photos of the rubber plug under the seat.

-DAN

BILL WILLIAMSON 04-06-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 397128)
My toes have been stepped on so much that now I have to wear clown shoes!:p:D

Toes are MEANT to be stepped on,:eek:, that's why they're located out FRONT!:D
They're may be some wisdom in this, but I really don't know what it might be?:confused: Bill W.

Roadster62 04-06-2012 07:35 PM

That is a nice looking cab, hope your sandblaster is a good one and things come home straight. Bob

jakeknapp29 04-13-2012 03:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I got a few more things done this week. I took the back cab panels apart and also started working on straightening out the cab corners. I picked up some fenders today! The fronts are decent, the rear fenders are pretty rough so I'll probably keep looking for another set. Oh and I think my gas tank has a leak.:D

Farrell In Vancouver 04-13-2012 03:51 PM

Looks like the metal moths got into the closet!
Nothing a little duct tape won't cure.
Remember if the wimmins don't find you handsome, the better find you handy!

jakeknapp29 04-13-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver (Post 405877)
Looks like the metal moths got into the closet!
Nothing a little duct tape won't cure.
Remember if the wimmins don't find you handsome, the better find you handy!

That sounds like a Red Green quote! He is my hero.