The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Adjusting Model "A" Valves (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13472)

Don/WI 02-04-2011 09:01 PM

Re: Adjusting Model "A" Valves

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Johnson (Post 78651)
Click here for my video page. There is one on valve adjustment.

Bob

Bob, I just watched your video on setting valves. I am having an engine rebuilt, but I am going to set the valves myself using the double nut adjustable lifters. The video is great and it couldn't have come to my attention at a beter time. Thanks for making this information available. Don/WI

George Miller 02-05-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Bjornestad (Post 78646)
I was never very good at math but I think that a hex flat will equal .083". I guess I need to find my caliper and see just what it comes out to.

24 threads per inch . You would divide 24 into 1000= .04166666 or round off to .042 then divide by 6 into.042 =.007

ksousa 02-07-2011 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to need a bigger feeler gauge.......

Obviously there's something dramatically wrong here. This is in a stock '29 RPU and she runs but has no power.
I'm seeing virtually zero PSI compression in cylinders 1 and 2. Adding oil to the cylinder and rechecking compression made no effect.
3 and 4 are pushing 50 PSI.
Some of the suggestions on here say to look next at valves and obviously that front valve is having issues.
From those of you that understand these motors, can you point me in the direction of my next steps?

thanks

Al Bass 02-07-2011 10:34 PM

looks like valve is stuck open.

Tom Wesenberg 02-08-2011 03:48 AM

Spray Kroil on the stems from the side cover and through the spark plug hole, or though the ports if the manifold is off. You're trying to get as much of the stem as possible, then let it set for several minutes to soak and then try tapping the valve down. You can get on top of the valve through the spark plug hole Using an old bent screwdriver or some such tool, then try to pry down, but don't get wild and force it too much. Sometimes you can use a thin Vise Grip and grab the bottom of the valve stem and twist it back and forth to make it drop back down. Keep working on it and spraying the stem with Kroil, and soon you should be hitting on all 4.

SamS 05-17-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank (Post 155183)
Sounds like you might have self-locking tappets; where the threaded-part goes into the tappet: are there two flats ground on the tappet so that you can hold it with w wrench while adjusting the hex-head part ?

Hi Frank,
Don't know where Dave in Denver went, but what you describe is what I have. So far, my solution is to run the lifter up on the lobe so I can get my 1/2" wrench on the flat sided lifter and run the nut up or down a little bit with my 7/16" wrench, and then get the lifter back on the bottom of the cam lobe to get a fresh reading. Surely there is a better way! If not, how do I figure out how much of a turn on the nut results in how much change?
Thanks for your help.
Sam

SamS 05-17-2011 07:44 PM

Never mind, Frank. I found the info needed from a post from Mitch//pa back in Sept. '09.
Seems like I was close to the solution on my own.