The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brake Floaters (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31691)

Maclab58 03-17-2011 09:03 AM

Brake Floaters

I have typical model A brakes and I love to drive my car everywhere! I am considering purchasing a brake floater kit from Flathead Teds but I'm not sure what I need. He sells a regular kit as well as a deluxe kit. What do I need to get? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1931 flamingo 03-17-2011 09:26 AM

Re: Brake Floaters

You might try posting this on the EV8 board. Ted posts there all the time
Paul in CT

V4F 03-17-2011 09:50 AM

i would just email him & ask him direct . hes ez to talk to .............. steve

flatheadted.com

CarlG 03-17-2011 10:01 AM

Ted will probably tell you to get the deluxe kit, just 'cause it has more parts. (at least that's what he told me when I asked the same question.) For the price difference it was a no-brainer to get the deluxe kit. However, YMMV

Steve Rinaldo 03-17-2011 04:37 PM

Think long and hard about it. It is really hard and expemsive to work correctly.Steve

Keith True 03-17-2011 05:50 PM

Steve,What did you find hard and expensive about them?I've put a few sets in for people and they seem to work fine.You DO have to get the brake system up to snuff first,but you have to do that anyway.I have run into people that had trouble,but it was because they were looking for a magic fix,and didn't want to fix the things that needed to be done.They wanted that $100.silver bullet to do away with $500.worth of things that had to be done.I did have a go-around with one set,hanging up,dragging,touchy pedal,pulling to either side,etc.After monkeying around a half dozen times,up on the lift,pull the hubs,look,fit,file,trim,measure,I found the problem.It was ME.There were a couple of things that I let slide,thinking the floaters would mask that,no go.I also had them adjusted too tight. Once I took care of that the truck felt like power disc.I felt it was too touchy for me,but the old guy that owned it was pretty feeble and he loved it.

allen 03-17-2011 09:19 PM

I'm with Keith, got a set on my Vicky and my 29, and when i get the 150b going its going have a set, They will take out all the fear of driving in traffic i feel like i have modern brake system, yes i spent the money on cast iron drums and have them turn best money i ever spent.

DaveB 03-17-2011 11:57 PM

The only problem I have with the FHT floaters is that they tend to "stick" when you stop. It takes a little more power to get it rolling again. Will stall the engine if low idle start but is good to keep from rolling back on a hill. The seem to be free when the "stick" is over and the car is rolling again.

30Tudor 03-18-2011 01:35 AM

Make sure that you order the deluxe kit with the new roller pins - otherwise you will spend a lot of time messing around with the cotter pin interference on the roller tracks. The new roller pins are a huge improvement and worth the money. http://www.flatheadted.com/modules.p...DEADSTOPDELUXE

They are a bit tricky to set up - as is the stock system but they really do improve brake pedal effort and feel. You also have to be patient driving for the first little while as they do take a bit of time to seat in. I would tackle the fronts first - drive the car for a while and then tackle the rears. Make sure you read Ted's instructions carefully (I didn't the first time and it was very frustrating). Also consult the two articles at http://www.ocmafc.org/ under Tech Articles.

Ted is very helpful and responsive if you have any problems.

There are a lot of guys that say that the stock system works great if it is set up correctly and that is 100% true. Ted's system also has to be set up correctly - it's the same amount of work as with making sure the stock system is setup and adjusted properly. Ted's system doesn't provide any shortcuts or compensate for a bad setup, worn components, warped (out of round) drums or poor shoe/drum contact. The big difference is the pedal effort and the confidence you will have when stopping.

Hope this helps. No - Ted has not paid me for this endorsement.

roccaas 03-18-2011 07:13 AM

With the time difference to NZ, it is great to send Ted an email at the close of your work day, and have the answer the next morning!

I have a 3 year old standard set on the fronts only. I didn't know there was a Deluxe until today. The added power/reduced effort has helped me escape at least two potentially fender creasing accidents as I drive around town a lot.

Well worth the price, the instructions are OK, MODEL A TIMES instructions are outstanding, the YouTube shots by Ted are also interesting.

Keith True 03-18-2011 07:18 AM

I had trouble with a set sticking on a stop,they would snap loose when you drove off,but it shouldn't have been happening.When I trued the new drums I did just that,trued them.I didn't measure,I chucked the assembly in the brake lathe and took tiny cuts until I had an even surface.Turns out those drums had been made with plenty of meat to turn down after,they were well under 11 inches.They were 25+year old Plasmeter drums that had been bought for the next time the truck needed brakes.I also had a problem hanging up from the cotter pins on a couple of rollers.I didn't wrap them close enough to the pin.There were also a couple of shoes with too much slop in the pin holes,but that was not my fault,he had bought the shoes exchange.The rest of the problems were mine,not the floaters.Six times up on the lift on my own dime teaches me more than any book,video,or instruction sheet.

CarlG 03-18-2011 10:37 AM

Diablo A's has a DVD that is quite good.
http://www.diabloas.com/