The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   6 Volt V8 Generator System (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120816)

Mr. Will 10-20-2013 01:50 PM

6 Volt V8 Generator System

2 Attachment(s)
I have the original 6 volt generator system on my 35' V8. The generator has a D100 cutout installed on top (see image below). When I am running down the road the amp gauge will indicate just a slight charge reading at the top of the neutral line, maybe a 1-2 (+) positive charge. If I turn on the lights the amp gauge has a 5-7 (-) negative reading. I tested the generator and it is putting out 7.6 volts but the cutout is only putting out about 5.8. I see Fun products offers a 10505R-V8 voltage regulator. http://www.funprojects.com/products/10505v.cfm Have any of you used this and what were the results? Can anyone advise? I have also heard that any of these products can be a crap shot with maybe 50% working like they should?http://www.348-409.com/forum/styles/...ies2/dunno.gif
Thanks Dan

Mr. Will 10-20-2013 02:07 PM

Re: 6 Volt V8 Generator System

I forgot to mention. Last night I thought I would test the system so we headed out on a 90 mile one way trip. Prior to leaving I tested the battery at 5.9 volts. Leaving at 3:30 in the afternoon and arriving at our location at 6:00 pm all was fine. Retuning home in the dark was another story. The last 16 miles the lights went dim and I eventually had to run with the lights out the last 5 miles. When I got home I tested the battery and it had 4.3 volts so it is evident that the system is not working correctly. I put the charger back on the battery 11:00 pm and as of now it has 6.2 volts after a 12 hr charge.

JM 35 Sedan 10-20-2013 02:54 PM

You may need to move your third brush setting up a little. Move it in the same direction that the armature/commutator normally turns when charging. I had to move mine as far as I could because the halogen bulbs draw more current/amps.
By the way, I like your car :).

Mr. Will 10-20-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 748348)
You may need to move your third brush setting up a little. Move it in the same direction that the armature/commutator normally turns when charging. I had to move mine as far as I could because the halogen bulbs draw more current/amps.
By the way, I like your car :).

John, Thanks for your response. I have read a bit about the third brush but I am not familiar. Can anyone post a picture of the adjustment?

JM 35 Sedan 10-20-2013 04:51 PM

Remove the sheet metal band on the back of the generator body. Loosen one screw and slide it off the back. The third brush is accessible at the top opening. It should be the first thing you see in that opening. You have to move the whole brushholder assembly. Move it a little then start the engine and see what the ammeter reads at idle and then with a little more throttle. Take it for a ride with lights on and check ammeter. If it's not charging enough, bump the third brush forward a little more. You don't want to get in an over charge condition either. That could ruin your battery.

Mr. Will 10-20-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 748437)
Remove the sheet metal band on the back of the generator body. Loosen one screw and slide it off the back. The third brush is accessible at the top opening. It should be the first thing you see in that opening. You have to move the whole brushholder assembly. Move it a little then start the engine and see what the ammeter reads at idle and then with a little more throttle. Take it for a ride with lights on and check ammeter. If it's not charging enough, bump the third brush forward a little more. You don't want to get in an over charge condition either. That could ruin your battery.

John, Thanks again. I read this PDF from Fun Projects. I realize it is for Model T 5055R but I believe the second part on how to adjust the third brush would follow the same principal.
http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/5055R12.PDF

ford38v8 10-20-2013 07:54 PM

Mr Will, In case John doesn't catch it, that PDF is for the Fun Project's 12 volt unit.
John's instructions are good, follow them, and Fun Projects does have the correct 6v positive ground unit for your car, which is used by many V8ers.

Mr. Will 10-20-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 748548)
Mr Will, In case John doesn't catch it, that PDF is for the Fun Project's 12 volt unit.
John's instructions are good, follow them, and Fun Projects does have the correct 6v positive ground unit for your car, which is used by many V8ers.

Alan, Thank you for your input. The reason I posted the PDF is for the second part "Setting the generator third brush". Would this description apply? Also the Fun Projects 10505R-V8 voltage regulator is what I would need but I just wanted some input back from other members that may have used it and what their results were. As I said earlier I have heard that these can be a shot in the dark? http://www.348-409.com/forum/styles/...ies2/dunno.gif

Lawrie 10-20-2013 09:23 PM

I got the fun products cutout thingy on both my 33 and 34,both 6v.
I could not say enough good things about them,fit and forget and works like a charm.
Lawrie

ford38v8 10-20-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Will (Post 748568)
Alan, Thank you for your input. The reason I posted the PDF is for the second part "Setting the generator third brush". Would this description apply? Also the Fun Projects 10505R-V8 voltage regulator is what I would need but I just wanted some input back from other members that may have used it and what their results were. As I said earlier I have heard that these can be a shot in the dark? http://www.348-409.com/forum/styles/...ies2/dunno.gif

Mr Will, Truthfully, I didn't read further after seeing that the document referred to a 12v negative system. I'd be very surprised though, if the correct 6v document contradicted the advice you've had from John.

koates 10-21-2013 03:13 AM

Mr Will, That Transpo D100 cutout currently on top of your generator has a diode inside of it and its characteristics produce a voltage drop across the diode and that's why you have a voltage lower on the battery terminal side than the generator output terminal. The very best quality cut out you can use is an original ford unit as most of the repros are junk. The original cutouts do not loose voltage through them. The FUN PROJECTS regulators worked very well for me in the past. Just a note on third brush generator settings. With your original ford factory gen system, If for instance you set your third brush at 15 amps or so to cover your 6volt quartz halogen headlights which pull more amps than original bulbs, then that's fine at night. But during daytime running with lights off all that current will be going into the battery which will be overcharged and overheated. The third brush only limits the maximum amps output and does not compensate up or down for loads that are turned on (lights) or the battery state of charge. So you have two options here. Reduce the third brush setting each day for daytime running or fit a FUN PROJECTS round regulator on top of your generator and make sure you follow the instructions that come with it exactly. A word of caution, your original 35 ford generator has a MAXIMUM SAFE output of around 15 amps and should never be exceeded for any reason otherwise the generator armature will overheat and burn out. Go for the fun projects unit. IF you fit it make sure you disconnect your battery cables if you are going to charge your battery with a mains charger. Regards, Kevin.

Mr. Will 10-21-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrie (Post 748604)
I got the fun products cutout thingy on both my 33 and 34,both 6v.
I could not say enough good things about them,fit and forget and works like a charm.
Lawrie

Lawrie, Thanks for you input. That is what I was hoping for...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 748607)
Mr Will, Truthfully, I didn't read further after seeing that the document referred to a 12v negative system. I'd be very surprised though, if the correct 6v document contradicted the advice you've had from John.

Thanks for your advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koates (Post 748700)
Mr Will, That Transpo D100 cutout currently on top of your generator has a diode inside of it and its characteristics produce a voltage drop across the diode and that's why you have a voltage lower on the battery terminal side than the generator output terminal. The very best quality cut out you can use is an original ford unit as most of the repros are junk. The original cutouts do not loose voltage through them. The FUN PROJECTS regulators worked very well for me in the past. Just a note on third brush generator settings. With your original ford factory gen system, If for instance you set your third brush at 15 amps or so to cover your 6volt quartz halogen headlights which pull more amps than original bulbs, then that's fine at night. But during daytime running with lights off all that current will be going into the battery which will be overcharged and overheated. The third brush only limits the maximum amps output and does not compensate up or down for loads that are turned on (lights) or the battery state of charge. So you have two options here. Reduce the third brush setting each day for daytime running or fit a FUN PROJECTS round regulator on top of your generator and make sure you follow the instructions that come with it exactly. A word of caution, your original 35 ford generator has a MAXIMUM SAFE output of around 15 amps and should never be exceeded for any reason otherwise the generator armature will overheat and burn out. Go for the fun projects unit. IF you fit it make sure you disconnect your battery cables if you are going to charge your battery with a mains charger. Regards, Kevin.

Kevin, This is exactly the information I was looking for. I figured the D100 had a diode and was a piece of junk but it was what was on the car when I acquired it in July. I will try the Fun Projects regulator and report my results.

If anyone else has anymore comments they would be welcome.

Thanks Dan

Tom Walker 10-22-2013 02:16 PM

Hi Dan, I run a stock 32 Tudor, with an original generator and cut-out. Recently had the armature on the genny re-wound, and with the 3rd brush moved all the way up I get 12 amps charge with lights off and a fraction of positive charge with the lights on. So what I do now is run around with the lights on if I drive more than 15 mins down the road.

Now I've got the genny whacking out some good volts, I think I'm going to buy the Fun Products cut-out. My thinking is that it saves some hassle, and probably extends the life of your battery, hence saving a few quid that way.

I am not an electrical expert, but i wonder if your battery is a little bit sick. If I put mine on charge overnight, I would expect it to show over 6.5 on the volt meter. I could easily be wrong, but just thought you should keep an eye on it. A duff battery can lead you to make all sorts of wrong assumptions about your electrical system, as I have found out to my own cost!

Cheers, Tom.

Mr. Will 10-22-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Walker (Post 749616)
Hi Dan, I run a stock 32 Tudor, with an original generator and cut-out. Recently had the armature on the genny re-wound, and with the 3rd brush moved all the way up I get 12 amps charge with lights off and a fraction of positive charge with the lights on. So what I do now is run around with the lights on if I drive more than 15 mins down the road.

Now I've got the genny whacking out some good volts, I think I'm going to buy the Fun Products cut-out. My thinking is that it saves some hassle, and probably extends the life of your battery, hence saving a few quid that way.

I am not an electrical expert, but i wonder if your battery is a little bit sick. If I put mine on charge overnight, I would expect it to show over 6.5 on the volt meter. I could easily be wrong, but just thought you should keep an eye on it. A duff battery can lead you to make all sorts of wrong assumptions about your electrical system, as I have found out to my own cost!

Cheers, Tom.

Tom, I am keeping a close watch on the battery. It is a Optima 8010-044 800cca. It has a 12/12 issue date so it is only about 9-months old. I have done a fair amount of driving at night and I think it just got wore down and the charging system with the D100 cutout could not keep up. I put a trickle charge on it for 36hrs and it came up to 6.59 volts. I think the Fun Projects voltage regulator will fill the ticket. At least I hope it does...http://www.348-409.com/forum/styles/...lies2/deal.gif http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en...rting-battery/

Thanks for your input.
Dan